Re-install Vista Ultimate upgrade version after hard drive crash RRS feed

• Question

• I own the genuine Windows Vista Ultimate up-grade version. My computer hard drive crashed and I have bought a new hard drive. When I run the DVD to re-install Vista, it says I must install from within Windows. I can't boot the old hard drive in Windows Vista to get Vista re-loaded. How can I re-load Vista onto my new hard drive as a 'clean' install since I can't boot to Windows?

I have called Microsoft and their only help was to tell me to load XP first and then 'upgrade' to the Vista that I own. I don't want all that extra 'junk' on my brand new 1 TB drive...

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Monday, June 27, 2011 4:17 AM

Answers

• "CounselorRay" wrote in message news:bb371283-d5ce-4cbf-8fc3-9aa12cedf917...

I own the genuine Windows Vista Ultimate up-grade version. My computer hard drive crashed and I have bought a new hard drive. When I run the DVD to re-install Vista, it says I must install from within Windows. I can't boot the old hard drive in Windows Vista to get Vista re-loaded. How can I re-load Vista onto my new hard drive as a 'clean' install since I can't boot to Windows?

I have called Microsoft and their only help was to tell me to load XP first and then 'upgrade' to the Vista that I own. I don't want all that extra 'junk' on my brand new 1 TB drive...

Assuming that you have a license for the pre-existing OS (i.e. a COA sticker on the machine's case), you can try the following workaround...

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:17 PM
    Monday, June 27, 2011 6:42 AM

All replies

• An upgrade version of Windows Vista requires a qualifying Windows XP operating system installed in order to become eliglible for the Windows Vista upgrade license.  Absent a Windows XP license, you can purchase a Windows 7 "Full Version" license since Windows Vista "Full Version" licenses are no longer available.
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, June 27, 2011 4:52 AM
  • "CounselorRay" wrote in message news:bb371283-d5ce-4cbf-8fc3-9aa12cedf917...

I own the genuine Windows Vista Ultimate up-grade version. My computer hard drive crashed and I have bought a new hard drive. When I run the DVD to re-install Vista, it says I must install from within Windows. I can't boot the old hard drive in Windows Vista to get Vista re-loaded. How can I re-load Vista onto my new hard drive as a 'clean' install since I can't boot to Windows?

Assuming that you have a license for the pre-existing OS (i.e. a COA sticker on the machine's case), you can try the following workaround...

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:17 PM
    Monday, June 27, 2011 6:42 AM
  • I appreciate your response... 
    Raymond Hart, MS, MFT
    Monday, June 27, 2011 1:47 PM
  • Thanks Noel, I'll check that out.
    Raymond Hart, MS, MFT
    Monday, June 27, 2011 1:48 PM