none
displaying the path of a flight in a flight sim instructor station's moving map RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

The instructor station is for Prepar3d and currently uses GMAP.NET to implement a moving map on which the flight's position and path are displayed.

I need to incorporate aeronautical charts into this setup. Is there any service which provides these charts through an API? Something like those that Sky Vector has, based on longitude and latitude values.

Also, is it possible to make the map more realistic through Open Street Maps? By placing objects that could be useful for the flight?

Thank you

Tuesday, October 16, 2018 4:29 AM

All replies

• Not sure if this is what you're looking for but iFlightPlanner Free integrates with the Google Maps API.
    Tuesday, October 16, 2018 7:38 PM
  • Thank you. I had a look. Does it offer an API through which developers can access the aviation charts to embed in their applications?
    Wednesday, October 17, 2018 4:44 AM
  • No.  Theirs, like most similar products, is an end-user tool, not a developer tool.  Really, the charts are the "secret sauce" here.

SkyVector's charts says the data is from ARINC and OpenStreetMap.  Have you contacted SkyVector?  I suspect they won't give you anything for free, but perhaps they can offer you some hints.

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Wednesday, October 17, 2018 7:41 PM
  • Thank you. I will try that
    Thursday, October 18, 2018 10:21 AM