E-mail generated when record Service Activity or Case is assigned or closed RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to figure out the best way to generate an e-mail when a Service Activity, or Case, is assigned or when it is close. I want the notification to go to the owner and the one assigned to the Service Activity or Case.

Should I use a Workflow or use a Java script? Or is the a better way to do it?

Gregory N. Brooks Secure Data Inc. gregory.brooks@securedatainc.com
    Monday, May 3, 2010 8:37 PM

Answers

• Great, I'm glad you follow that.

Take the following steps to insert the Owner into the To address field of the e-mail:

• Add Send E-mail step
    • Select Properties of the e-mail
    • Select the To field
    • Leave 'Look For' set to Case on the Forms Assistant to the right
    • Select Owner from the drop down list under Case
    • Select the Add button
    • Select Ok to add the Dynamic value to the E-mail 'To' field

Regards, Donna

Windows Live Blog

Monday, May 3, 2010 9:44 PM

All replies

• I'm going to assume that you want the notification to go to the Previous Owner and the New Owner with the New Owner being the person that was assigned the Case.

I would use workflow to send the e-mail notification.  The Case closed is an easy one, because you can simply trigger the workflow to run when the statecode or Status field of the Case changes, check the status and if the Case is closed send the email notification to the current owner and copy the last person to Modify the case which is the person who closed it.

Sending an e-mail notification to the 'previous owner' when a case is assigned requires that you create a custom field on the Case record (you don't have to display it on the form), we'll call it PreviousOwner.  You'll use the Previous Owner field to store the e-mail address of the Owner before the Case is reassigned.  That will allow you to have the Previous Owner's e-mail address available for use in the workflow to send the notification.  After the notification is sent, then add a step that updates the Previous Owner field with the new Owner's e-mail address. 

Also, create a workflow to update the Previous Owner field with the initial owner's e-mail address when a Case record is created.  You'll use that data the first time the Case record is reassigned.

Regards, Donna

Windows Live Blog

Monday, May 3, 2010 9:21 PM
  • OK. I follow you logic. I'll giev that a try.

I did create a workflow that will send tghe message, but I have not found a way to "insert" the "owner" into the e-mail "To:" field of my message or message template. Am I missing something? I did not see anyway to programatically insert into that field. I can only hard code the address - which will not allow me to send to the correct person.

I must be overlooking something obvious.

Greg

Monday, May 3, 2010 9:30 PM
  • Great, I'm glad you follow that.

Take the following steps to insert the Owner into the To address field of the e-mail:

• Add Send E-mail step
    • Select Properties of the e-mail
    • Select the To field
    • Leave 'Look For' set to Case on the Forms Assistant to the right
    • Select Owner from the drop down list under Case
    • Select the Add button
    • Select Ok to add the Dynamic value to the E-mail 'To' field

Regards, Donna

Windows Live Blog

Monday, May 3, 2010 9:44 PM
  • I found out how to insert the "owner" into the "To:" field. It was right on there in the pane on the right side of the form.

Monday, May 3, 2010 9:45 PM
  • Just read you post. Thanks. I "discovered" it on my own, but your post was helpful.

Monday, May 3, 2010 9:46 PM
  • Has anyone done this - send an e-mail - with a Java script?
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:07 PM