Remote web access RRS feed

• Question

•  Hello,  Is remote web access The same as being at my pc as far as viewing pics and files on my server? When at McDonalds I can access pics to show friends from my server with my smart phone? How is the security? It seems right now my sever will not connect to anything out side of my network will this open my sever to the outside world? When at McDonalds and on there wifi or local Collage or any business for that mater will they see and maby store passwords and or any info that could breach security for my sever? I just fear any hacks messing with my files!!! Thanks Mike  
    Sunday, February 16, 2014 2:57 PM

Answers

• That's correct with regard to safety, but as anything connected to the Internet, there is a level of risk even to the large Corporates. I suspect they will be of more interest to a determined hacker than your photos!! I don't use AV software on either of my servers and indeed there is no real solution if you want to, but I ensure it is on any Client PC that I give access to the Servers.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Sunday, February 16, 2014 7:20 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Sunday, February 16, 2014 10:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, March 4, 2014 10:45 AM
    Sunday, February 16, 2014 7:18 PM
  • Your Server now connects to your Gateway and hence the Internet. Pleased it is working.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Wednesday, February 19, 2014 10:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, March 4, 2014 10:46 AM
    Monday, February 17, 2014 7:24 PM
  • You need a device running Silverlight 4, which basically means a Windows PC or phone. From what I recall you can stream to other devices using Windows Server 2012, but that's a different prospect.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:57 PM
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:48 PM
  • That should work. Don't go into a shared folder but open the Video Library and click on the file you want to play

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 10:00 PM
  • I got it now!! I hade to go to users click properties web access and click what to allow!!! All I had chosen was shared and that's all I got I now have dashboard and all Thanks again phill !!!
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:43 PM

All replies

• To enable remote access, your router must forward two ports (80 & 443) to your server machine so in that way it is exposed to the Internet. It uses the https secure protocol so is relatively secure in that respect. With https, passwords are nor visible to others.

Sunday, February 16, 2014 4:41 PM
  • Thanks Phil, You say "relatively safe" I take that to be safe as can be? may not cia safe but corporate safe? will my phone access all files just like my pc does? Should I put any virus protection on the server if I open it the the internet?
    Sunday, February 16, 2014 5:36 PM
  • That's correct with regard to safety, but as anything connected to the Internet, there is a level of risk even to the large Corporates. I suspect they will be of more interest to a determined hacker than your photos!! I don't use AV software on either of my servers and indeed there is no real solution if you want to, but I ensure it is on any Client PC that I give access to the Servers.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Sunday, February 16, 2014 7:20 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Sunday, February 16, 2014 10:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, March 4, 2014 10:45 AM
    Sunday, February 16, 2014 7:18 PM
  • LOL Are you surprised I am not doing well!!! I am using a Linksys ea6900 router All devices are hard wired with cable except smart phones. A Motorola sb6141 modem tied in to time warner cable (road runner) When running the whs11 wizard it says no internet connection and router not set to upnp. The router is set to upnp I tried to manually set the router,it says to do so turn off upnp and set ports. I went to single port and put HTTP 80 tcp and the servers dhcp reservation address. I then put in https 443 tcp with the same address, it did ask for internal and external ports I put the numbers in both did not work. I then tried  port range putting http port 80 - 80 and the address https 443 - 443 and the address Did not work LOL btw I did hit apply. It does say I may need to contact my isp supplier?

Thanks again for any help Mike

Sunday, February 16, 2014 9:57 PM
  • Are you saying you have two routers, one behind the other? If so you need to port forward from the first to the IP address of the second. Secondly, port forward the second to the IP address of your server. If I misunderstood and you only have a single router you only only to do the second part!

Sunday, February 16, 2014 10:19 PM
  • The Motorola sb6141 is a modem only taking the rg-6 coax cable and converting it to cat 6. I don't know what that would have for ports? so cable from road into house splitter to go to tv's and to modem both with rg-6 coax cat 6 from modem to router so yes modem is in series with router.
     I am going to read up on the sb6141
    • Edited by MrMike522 Sunday, February 16, 2014 10:32 PM
    Sunday, February 16, 2014 10:31 PM
  • Unlikely to be a router if it only has one ethernet port as routers normally incorporate a switch.

Sunday, February 16, 2014 10:43 PM
  • I do agree but it may have ports ?
    Sunday, February 16, 2014 10:45 PM
  • No, it does not have a firewall or router so it just converts your cable internet connection to ethernet. DHCP and routing is performed by your Linksys. Port forward with the Linksys, the two ports above to your Server IP address ( fixed IP if you can). Try running ShieldsUp (www.grc.com) from a client computer to see if those two ports are shown as Open. If not, your ISP may be blocking them!

Sunday, February 16, 2014 10:53 PM
  • Looking back to an earlier post, WHS says no Internet connection? Does it? That's not a normal message you receive if port forwarding is not working!

Sunday, February 16, 2014 10:58 PM
  •  Yes when I hit help it does say the isp supplier commonly blocks those ports also I can look at my network map the server is not connected outside of my network if I want to update my server I have to take it off of a assigned ip and let it find its own then it will connect to the internet and I can run update? My old server does the same with my old router and modem?
    Sunday, February 16, 2014 11:08 PM
  • If you are assigning a manual IP address is it in the same subnet as your gateway (e.g. 192.168.1.xxx)? It's not necessary to do so as you can probably set it to DHCP and tell your router to always assign the same IP address based on the Server's network card MAC address. Also, you have given your server the Gateway address of your router (e.g. 192.168.1.1)?

Sunday, February 16, 2014 11:50 PM
  • I am not sure what you are asking and saying. I gave the sever a address 192.168.1.155 at the router then told the network card to use that address it works fine but as soon as I do that it can no longer go outside my network?
    Monday, February 17, 2014 12:01 AM
  • Run ipconfig in a command prompt on the server and post the results.

Monday, February 17, 2014 8:41 AM
  • Ok I don't have a mon hooked up to sever now I will just it is a pain. Server is in basement up in the floor joist. When I run remote web access wizard the following come up. #1, Internet connection is not available, There is a problem connecting to the internet. Ensure that your server is connected to your network properly and that your network devices are turned on and functioning properly. If you still cannot connect to the internet, contact your Internet service provider (ISP) for support. ( OK I do know I am on my network I use the server on many devices almost every day.) OK #2 UPNP is not enabled on the router, The UPNP setting is turned off on your router or your router does not support the UPNP standard that is required to automatically set up port forwarding on your router. ( I do not know if it is compatible but it is on)  #3 Remote web access to your server is blocked, Some routers may not work properly with your server. Visit the support web site for your router manufacturer and ensure that your router has the most recent firmware. Some Internet service providers (ISP) block TCP ports 80 and 443 to prevent customers from remotely accessing services that are hosted on there networks. For more information contact your ISP. OK I ran the Shieldsup tested ports 0 to 1056. 1056 ports tested, 0 ports open, 0 ports closed, 1056 ports stealth, No unsolicited packets received, No ping reply (ICMP echo) was received. I followed the Linksys directions to manually open the ports than ran the wizard again with the same results. Mayby I should reopen them manually and run the shieldsup again? When I get time I will promt IPCONFG. Thanks Mike  
    Monday, February 17, 2014 4:52 PM
  • ok I went into the server via the dashboard went to control panel, then internet connections then troubleshoot I don't know what it did but it fixed it LOL I am on line now with remote web access!!! Thanks Mike
    I can also update the server now without having to change setting to get address automatically !!!! 
    • Edited by MrMike522 Monday, February 17, 2014 5:50 PM
    Monday, February 17, 2014 5:47 PM
  • Your Server now connects to your Gateway and hence the Internet. Pleased it is working.

Monday, February 17, 2014 7:24 PM
  • Thanks again Mike
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 1:00 PM
  • OK I have  accessed my server from a few outside places now so I know it is working now :) One thing I don't like is I wanted to show someone a vid on my server, it said 3hrs 45min to download this file LOL. I don't know if there is anything I can do about that!!! When I do a speed test to a  site in nyc I have 16.25 mps down load but only 1.09 upload, the same almost every time I check it. I assume I am relying on the upload when accessing from a remote location? Is there anything I can do about the upload speed?
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 8:37 PM
  • Your upload speed is a function of your ADSL connection if that is what you have, check with your provider? Nothing you can do about that without going to fiber. Are you trying to download the file to your device to play it rather than streaming it?

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:17 PM
  • Yes Phil download was the only choice I saw. Is there a way to stream it? That would be a lot better !!
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:24 PM
  • You need a device running Silverlight 4, which basically means a Windows PC or phone. From what I recall you can stream to other devices using Windows Server 2012, but that's a different prospect.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:57 PM
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:48 PM
  • I was on a pc running windows 8 , I will play around a bit and see what I find Thanks :)
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:53 PM
  • That should work. Don't go into a shared folder but open the Video Library and click on the file you want to play

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 10:00 PM
  • Phil The only option I get is shared folders? I typed in video library in the box and got a file that has nothing to do with vids LOL. I tried from my home pc and it loads pretty fast, is it still going out of my network going downtown and coming back or does it know where it is and staying in my network?
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 10:27 PM
  • If you log in you should go to your Home Page that lists Computers, Shared Folders and on the right Media Library - it's the latter you need.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:02 PM
  • The home button does nothing maby because I took every thing off my network except the server my tvs and such devices where filled with devices that did nothing for them . 
    I tried again the home page only show shared folders just in a different way as shared folders??
    • Edited by MrMike522 Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:16 PM
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:13 PM
  • I got it now!! I hade to go to users click properties web access and click what to allow!!! All I had chosen was shared and that's all I got I now have dashboard and all Thanks again phill !!!
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:43 PM