Icon: Gold shield with Exclamation mark...what is it? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

New to XP, on a used computer I now have.

In the icon box, lower right hand corner there is a gold shield with an exclamation mark in it. It randomly says it's downloading updates.(which slows my comp to a crawl!)

Is this an XP program or spyware? Plus...the usualy alt-control-delete, when pressed, says it's been locked by the administrator.

Any help on if this is legit...and how to get the task manager to open?

An XP newby that's ever so frustrated.

Thanks in advance.

J

(PS: ran 'AVG' and 'ad aware' and found hundreds of hits)

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 3:02 PM

All replies

• This an icon for the normal xp updates from microsoft, there are various options in control panel security centre to regulate these. The pc at a crawl could be due to various reasons inc memory xp swallows a lot, the 1st place to  start is get rid of all the adware-malware, virus problems you say you have. Task manager can be opened by right clicking on a blank space, bottom blue bar of screen and then select it. You say your new and I would suggest you stay clear of the running processes in TM unless you know what you are doing, closing wrong one could make pc unstable. From what you say it seems various controls have been locked by previous owner and may be password protected you can explore this in the user accounts, again in the control panel, if this is so its back to him/her to give you password to unlock administrator privileges otherwise your stuck, one of the downsides of purchasing a used pc.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 11:32 AM
  • Thanks Eddie,

I'm just in the process of updating any service packs as I think the comp has been offline for a while.

The only remaining problem I have is that XP constantly tries to look for the Windows 2000 CD and asks me to load it...which requires a cancel.

Thanks a tonne for taking the time to land a hand. It's very much appreciated.

J

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 2:02 PM
  • Jay

I don't use win 2000 but can only assume its checking for genuine copy of win 2000 before installing updates or the disc is required to assist with certain files, another downside to a 2nd hand pc if you have not received the disc from previous owner.There are ways round it but I feel it would be inappropriate to post here. Sorry

Thursday, February 1, 2007 12:45 AM