none
Why does Propose As Answer sometimes not appear? RRS feed

Answers

• I was just reading a thread where the first responder provided a very good answer:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itprogeneral/thread/66b8e121-d2f9-472f-8ed5-eac7557318e3

I could not propose the post As Answer.  The link simply doesn't exist.  Note this screen grab:

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

I hope you don't mind my pointing out, the balloon indicates that thread is a discussion.

Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:37 AM

All replies

• On the contrary, thank you very much for pointing out exactly what the issue is!  I hadn't noticed that the thread in question was not marked as a question, and I guess I'm so used to seeing questions here that I have failed to notice that distinction in general.

I appreciate your taking the time to answer, even if it turned out to be a pretty dumb question.  I probably wouldn't have figured it out on my own.  :-)

-Noel

Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:39 PM
  • To be fair I didn't put all that much effort into it (e.g., I have preset styles for the arrows and text), but I have wondered for a long time why the difference in functionality between "Question" and "Discussion" posts apparently without ever having bumped my head hard enough into the "Question" vs. "Discussion" distinction to see the obvious.  I don't create too many threads myself.

You're right, in your examples the view on the right looks much better than the one on the left. 

It's lost on me why there should be multiple ways to view the same information.  Competing organizations within Microsoft, perhaps, trying to jusitify their own existence making something out of the content we users create?  Somehow it feels a bit like when a publisher and distributors end up with all the money for a book whose content you have created.

Since I often click the "My Threads" link at the right from where I am, I regularly see the same threads looking different from moment to moment depending on what prior subdomains of the Micorosft site I've been through.  There's nothing good about that, though after a while one learns to just ignore it.

You and I have talked before about the needlessness of ultra-thin fonts, so anemic that they end up less readable - impossibly huge in the title yet TINY and light in the content, surrounded by large amounts of wasted space.  The minimal space between paragraphs particularly irritates me in the technet view.

Based on your "metro-ized" wording, I suspect you and I both feel similar disdain for the "fashion" aspect in all this. 

But to be fair we ARE communicating, so I guess it could be worse.

-Noel

Saturday, November 17, 2012 6:54 PM
  • It occurs to me to wonder out loud...

Why IS there an arbitrary distinction between Question and Discussion Who does it benefit?  What does it clarify?  Does the distinction's existence increase the value or clarity of the communication here? 

Its existence wasted my time and derosnec's time here because the choice of which to use wasn't clear to rohittumharayaar and the distinction wasn't clear to me.

Seems like the language has a nice ? character that's quite easy to use in the thread subject for making that distinction.

-Noel

Saturday, November 17, 2012 7:06 PM
  • Why IS there an arbitrary distinction between Question and Discussion Who does it benefit? 

Answerers.   Hint:   Look at the filters.   <eg>
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 7:35 PM
  • You're suggesting that answerers don't benefit from looking at Discussions?

That might make sense if the content were significantly different.  Which of these would be of more benefit?

• Please describe how the xyzzy feature works.
    • How does the xyzzy feature work?

One could even imagine that "Propose as Answer" would benefit an answerer who responded to the first thread.

This brings to mind a question:  Outside of the satisfaction of helping others, which you get without any points or other scheme, what good does it do to "answer" something?  It's not like you win free software licenses or even something of value.

-Noel

• Edited by Noel Carboni Saturday, November 17, 2012 7:59 PM
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 7:49 PM
  • If you're a moderator in that forum and the thread is really a question type of the thread, I suggest to change the type of that thread. I often do this in transact-sql forum I moderate when I see a question type thread appears as discussion type.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:58 PM
  • I think certain threads are really discussions when we exchange ideas on the topic. In Transact-SQL forum Kalman sometimes starts such discussions. The majority of the threads are really questions, so when I see a discussion type, I figure it was a mistake by OP and correct the type.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Sunday, November 18, 2012 12:03 AM
  • I guess what I'm thinking, in case it isn't obvious, is that this all just seems a lot of wasted effort over some kind of arbitrary Question/Discussion distinction.  If there was no choice, no distinction, and every thread just always had a "Propose as Answer", everything would work.  Its presence doesn't mean that it would always have to be exercised.  A link is easily ignored.  But one can imagine that a significant question could arise during the course of a discussion and be answered, and thus appropriately have a post Marked As Answer.

But no matter, I don't really care about the finer points.  As long as we can generally communicate, I learn.  Thanks again to derosnec for making it clear to me why sometimes the As Answer links can be missing.  I wish you luck in influencing the powers that be to make the appearance of these forums more uniform and easier to read.

-Noel

Sunday, November 18, 2012 4:23 AM