Organisation entity and forms RRS feed

• Question

• Under the Organisation entity we obviously have a main form. Say there are two areas of the business and both areas have 3 fields in common.

But one business area has 5 fields which are specific to their area and the other business area has 6 fields specific to their area.

As a general design best practice should we:-

a) Customise the single main form and display the 3 fields in common and then using JavaScript manipulate the same form to display the appropriate fields depending upon which business area is being targeted?

OR

b) Have two different forms for each business area?

Thanks

Maz

Monday, June 30, 2014 11:20 AM

Answers

• Personally if there were just a handful of fields that were specific to one area I'd hide them with JavaScript in certain cases. If you start getting into large scale differences between forms it starts to become easier just to create a new form. 

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Monday, June 30, 2014 12:39 PM

All replies

• Personally if there were just a handful of fields that were specific to one area I'd hide them with JavaScript in certain cases. If you start getting into large scale differences between forms it starts to become easier just to create a new form. 

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Monday, June 30, 2014 12:39 PM
  • Hi,

Multiple forms where introduced for this reason only. But i will not suggest to go with second solution.

There is a know issue with having multiple forms in CRM 2011. See below scenario:

Say you have two forms A and B.

Ideal expectations are that if i create a record using form A and another using form B, form A record should open in form A only when i try to open it latter. Same applies for B.

But what happens here is, it opens the record on the form last used (cache).

So, if i open a record A, it will open in form A correctly but after that if i open record B, it will also open in form A only. You will need a JScript latter to check for on what form type the record was created.

Thus first solution will be the one that i will suggest (even i have used same in one of my project :))

Monday, June 30, 2014 12:40 PM