Can you network install WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• Im curious, is it yet possible to install WHS using a Networked PC or a DVD attached to a client vs requring one in the WHS box... I know this will be an "eventual" configuration but haven't seen/heard much about it.. Mebby a PXE boot?

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 10:08 PM

Answers

• No, you need to have a DVD-ROM drive physically connected to the WHS box for the installation. I doubt that this will ever change; WHS is primarily going to be sold pre-installed on hardware like the HP MediaSmart Server.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:05 PM
  • Actually, at WinHEC, Chris Gray in his chalk talk discussed how they're planning to allow recovery of a failed, WHS primary disk drive from a client over the network, using, IIRC, the WHS Connector.  Otherwise, how could you manage a primary disk failure on the WHS without an onboard optical drive since optical drives are verboten on the final boxes?
    Sunday, June 3, 2007 5:43 AM

All replies

• I've not seen any reports of it working, but I have seen several comments saying it doesn't work (yet)

Gordon

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 2:19 PM
  • No, you need to have a DVD-ROM drive physically connected to the WHS box for the installation. I doubt that this will ever change; WHS is primarily going to be sold pre-installed on hardware like the HP MediaSmart Server.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:05 PM
  • Actually, at WinHEC, Chris Gray in his chalk talk discussed how they're planning to allow recovery of a failed, WHS primary disk drive from a client over the network, using, IIRC, the WHS Connector.  Otherwise, how could you manage a primary disk failure on the WHS without an onboard optical drive since optical drives are verboten on the final boxes?
    Sunday, June 3, 2007 5:43 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    NWHS is primarily going to be sold pre-installed on hardware like the HP MediaSmart Server.
    This will get interesting Ken, why? ...

HP marketing is telling us... 

"with expansion capacity up to 6TB of storage.*** // *** Using 750GB drives"

8*750=6000. Mathematical the value is ok, but...

I doubt that the first internal hdd will be a 750GB

HP marketing is telling us... 

"Plan for future storage with the HP MediaSmart Server’s four drive bays and four USB 2.0 ports to connect external USB hard drives.

My guess, there will be four separate USB ports to force the data throughput

This plan is made without eventual plugged in USB2 printers. One more installed printer will count out as one less installed external hdd ;( well anyway, I like the fancy style of the SmartServer

... but back to the initial quest... if HP does not ship with the first HDD being a 750GB (I would like Seagate only) how do we manage a new installation on a new 750GB?

special if opical drive will be verboten (forbidden) see post of shutrbug ?

Monday, June 4, 2007 5:55 PM