none
Training Lab for MCSA/MCSE Windows Server 2012 exams and Windows 7 exam RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am trying to study for the Windows 7 exam and I hope to pursue the Windows Server 2012 exams for MCSA and perhaps MCSE.  How does a newbie go about setting up a study lab?  Do you use virtual machines for the Windows Server 2012 on a few machines or do people buy multiple computers for study?  I don't have a huge budget and I'm trying to figure out how to get started.  The amount of information is a little bit overwhelming.  How long do people typically take to achieve the MCSA and the MCSE?  What do people use to study for the Windows 7 exam?  What would be a good study lab for the MCSA and MCSE exams?  Thank you.

Sunday, April 6, 2014 3:42 AM

Answers

• Hi,

in my opinion virtualization is the best way. With that you can set-up a new lab in minutes if anything goes wrong. If you have Windows 8 running Hyper-V is already integrated.

How long a MCSA or MCSE track takes really depends on the track, how much time do you have, and what your knowledge in the appropriate technology. Some people achieve a complete MCSA track within one week, some need multiple months.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

@Horizon_Net | Blog

Monday, April 7, 2014 8:58 AM
    Answerer
  • One alternative to setting up your own labs is to use the Technet Labs Online:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/virtuallabs/bb467605.aspx

These labs are automatically set up using virtualization in a Microsoft data center. You simply access the computers in the labs using a remote client from your PC. There is a large assortment of different labs that you can use for practicing. Best of all, they are free.

Monday, April 7, 2014 6:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

in my opinion virtualization is the best way. With that you can set-up a new lab in minutes if anything goes wrong. If you have Windows 8 running Hyper-V is already integrated.

How long a MCSA or MCSE track takes really depends on the track, how much time do you have, and what your knowledge in the appropriate technology. Some people achieve a complete MCSA track within one week, some need multiple months.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

@Horizon_Net | Blog

Monday, April 7, 2014 8:58 AM
    Answerer
  • One alternative to setting up your own labs is to use the Technet Labs Online:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/virtuallabs/bb467605.aspx

These labs are automatically set up using virtualization in a Microsoft data center. You simply access the computers in the labs using a remote client from your PC. There is a large assortment of different labs that you can use for practicing. Best of all, they are free.

Monday, April 7, 2014 6:50 PM