none
Can I set up WHS on a spare desktop or do I need new hardware? RRS feed

• Question

• Please forgive what are probably pretty basic questions, but...

Between my kids and I, we have 3 desktops and 3 laptops.  Some of the features of WHS are looking pretty attractive.  So, I want WHS in my home but don't have money for a pre-made server with WHS.  I have a Dell Dimension 8400 desktop running Vista Ultimate that I don't use much anymore and was wondering if I can buy WHS as a stand-alone piece of software and load it onto my Dell 8400 (assuming it meets all the minimum hardware requirements) or whether it only comes pre-loaded on server hardware?

If I can load it on my Dell 8400, does WHS replace the Vista OS or does it co-exist?  Part of what I want to understand is whether I can continue to use the Dell 8400 just as I do now or whether turning it into a server essentially prevents me from using it for Media Center, Office, Internet Explorer, etc.

If I can load it on my Dell 8400, is there anything else I haven't asked but should know about regarding using my own hardware to set up WHS?  Maybe there are some good threads I could be directed to.

Thanks to those who respond!

Sven
    • Edited by Axel Bolin Sunday, September 21, 2008 3:10 PM
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 3:09 PM

Answers

• WHS is also available as an OEM disc set.

I would not attempt to run WHS and Vista in a dual-boot.  That will essentially remove all server functionality from WHS.
    I would also not try to run Vista over WHS in a VirtualPC setup, or vice-versa.

Keep in mind that WHS is not a workstation OS, in other words, you don't want to install it onto a PC and expect to log onto it locally and install software and games and attempt to use it like a standard PC.  It is not designed for that.

WHS will also re-partition and re-format your boot drive, so if you do not have the original disc set with your Dell, it will wipe out your recovery partition and you won't be able to go back to Vista without contacting Dell and ordering a recovery disc set.

Windows Home Server should be installed onto a separate small headless box and connected to the network, since that is its designed functionality.
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 7:41 PM

All replies

• WHS is also available as an OEM disc set.

I would not attempt to run WHS and Vista in a dual-boot.  That will essentially remove all server functionality from WHS.
    I would also not try to run Vista over WHS in a VirtualPC setup, or vice-versa.

Keep in mind that WHS is not a workstation OS, in other words, you don't want to install it onto a PC and expect to log onto it locally and install software and games and attempt to use it like a standard PC.  It is not designed for that.

WHS will also re-partition and re-format your boot drive, so if you do not have the original disc set with your Dell, it will wipe out your recovery partition and you won't be able to go back to Vista without contacting Dell and ordering a recovery disc set.

Windows Home Server should be installed onto a separate small headless box and connected to the network, since that is its designed functionality.
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 7:41 PM
  • Nevertheless, if you plan on using it as a dedicated WHS server, then load her up and install WHS.  I am using my old Dimension 8400 -- Put in two SATA 1-TB drives, and I am trying to get it set up to boot from a 250-gig PATA drive, so I can have the two TB drives mirror

As I was testing the 8400 before adding the SATA drives, it worked great!

But, right now, it's not seeing the SATA drives from WHS (It shows up in the BIOS, and it shows up when WHS starts to install...)

Also, be sure to download the NIC card driver from support.dell.com -- you WILL need it - run it from the WHS machine after installing or you won't have a network connection.

Friday, November 7, 2008 8:26 AM