Problem connecting from console to HP Mediasmart 475 RRS feed

• Question

• I've got three computers, all running Vista, conected to an HP Mediasmart 475, and they've been working perfectly for the last month or two.  (I'm running SP1 of WHS, and that's been working great too.)

This week I returned from WPC and now my laptop won't connect through the console.  When I first got home, I kicked off a backup of the laptop from the console on another machine.  That worked fine.  Later, I tried to login to the console from the laptop and I got an error "Unable to connect to your home server."  Since the server is working and accessable from the other machines, I thought the problem was with my laptop.  After a lot of searching and trouble shooting, I reinstalled the connector software.  After finally getting the software to install (it couldn't find the server) now I have the console back, but when I try to login I get an error "This computer cannot connect to your home server.  Check your network connections and make sure your server is powered on . . "

Here's what I've checked.

- All machines are on the same subnet, 192.168.1.* 

- I've given the WHS a static IP, 192.168.1.254.

- I've ran discovery.exe and tried the trick of doing it first with no network connection, then getting the edit box, and entered both the server name and the IP address (with the network reconnected) but I still get an error.  Either a network error, or an unable to connect to the server error.

- I CAN ping the server using 192.168.1.254, but NOT using the server name.

- I can see the Server Media Connect in the Network and Sharing Center, and I can see the network device, but not the computer.  (hope you understand that!)

- I CAN get to the server from IE (8 beta - one of the things that changed) and I can login OK.

- If I try to access folders from IE, I get a certificate error, but I can get in

- I've tried to restore using the CD, and I can't see the server, so I can't restore

- I've tried connecting via Eithernet to the Linksys router WRT54G v1.00.9, the same router the WHS is connected to, and it still doesn't work

I'm stuck.  I'm ready to try a different router and wireless USB on the laptop next.  Mostly I'm just documenting the problem.  I see people have been having similar problems but not quite the same.  Any thoughts would be appreciated, and when I figure it out I'll come back and post the answer.  Thanks!  -- Terry Gold

Monday, July 14, 2008 1:02 AM

Answers

• Thanks Ken, I appreciate the tip, but I think it is almost working now.  I took my laptop to work, logged into my work domain and had no problems all day.  When I came home tonight I noticed that I could now ping my WHS by name.  I was even able to login to the Connector console, but the console still didn't recognize that the laptop was connected.

I then uninstalled the Connector and reinstalled it from my original Connector CD.  I did have to give the server name to it during installation, but after that, it installed fine.  It realized it needed to update, and that not only worked but the installer found the server without help.

Right now I seem to be almost back to where I was last week.  I'm doing a back up before I do anything else, but I'll poke around some more later.

It's a mystery still as to what caused the laptop to lose the connection, or even what brought it back.  Something to do with name resolution I guess, but I don't know what. 

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 4:01 AM

All replies

• That you can ping your server by IP address but not name argues for a name resolution issue. To test that, please add an entry to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\lmhosts (no file extension):

192.168.1.254    servername

Monday, July 14, 2008 12:00 PM
  • Thanks Ken, I appreciate the tip, but I think it is almost working now.  I took my laptop to work, logged into my work domain and had no problems all day.  When I came home tonight I noticed that I could now ping my WHS by name.  I was even able to login to the Connector console, but the console still didn't recognize that the laptop was connected.

I then uninstalled the Connector and reinstalled it from my original Connector CD.  I did have to give the server name to it during installation, but after that, it installed fine.  It realized it needed to update, and that not only worked but the installer found the server without help.

Right now I seem to be almost back to where I was last week.  I'm doing a back up before I do anything else, but I'll poke around some more later.

It's a mystery still as to what caused the laptop to lose the connection, or even what brought it back.  Something to do with name resolution I guess, but I don't know what. 

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 4:01 AM