Why now, after three years? Outlook pops up a note saying it is not valid. All other Office apps are fine (so far). RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed on my laptop a copy of Office 2007. It was installed in 2007 and has worked fine from then up until about a month ago. Now, every time I open Outlook is says it is not a valid copy.  It passes any/all test whenever I need to update or install/download an extra such as a template or some other add-on.

It only happens on Outlook.  All other apps respond as they should.

I was, at one time, a part of the TechNet membership.  That is where this copy of Office came from.  It is legal.  I do not want to uninstall and I most certainly do not plan to buy another copy.

How do I get this to stop annoying me?

I have not tinkered with anything.  This laptop has not been serviced or otherwise accessed by anyone other than myself so there is no way the registration has been changed.

This is a legal copy and I should not have to so anything to keep this running.  Microsoft sold and sent me the disk and I got my registration number directly from the Microsoft TechNet website.  This was supposed to be a 100%, lifetime valid copy according to the terms I agreed to when I paid my membership.

What gives?

Please do not ask me to uninstall and reinstall and most definitely do not try to tell me I have to buy another copy.  Microsoft must have sent a part of an "update" which started all of these messages, Microsoft can very well send another "update" to make it recognize the validity and stop these annoying messages.

Thanks for your time and swift response to this Microsoft error.

I am sorry if I sound angry, but I am.  You are multi-billionaires.  I am not.  I don't have the time for these aggravation and I certainly do not like the insinuation that I have pirated software.  It's from the DVD Microsoft sent using the registration key from a Microsoft website!
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 4:31 PM

Answers

• No reply from original poster.

Closing thread as Answered.

Darin MS
    Monday, October 12, 2009 9:29 PM

All replies

• Hello Former TechNet Member,

In order to recieve the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click the "Continue" button, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into your post.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 4:50 PM
  • Why?  What is it going to tell you that I have not already made clear?

I paid for my membership with TechNet (Microsoft).
    TN/MS sent me a DVD with Office 2007
    I installed from said DVD.
    I obtained my registration key from TN/MS website.
    It installed and registered just fine.

Now, three years later, it starts saying that the install is not valid.

Obviously, Microsoft has goofed somewhere in their code on some update/patch/whatever and the consumer is being asked to jump through hoops in order to simply continue using something they already paid M$ to use.  MS needs to rectify the issue on their end and either provide another update/patch/whatever to remedy the issue requiring the least effort from the consumer.

I should not have to install anything not directly related to an actual fix.
    I should not have to uninstall and reinstall.

Why can't I just e-mail MS the key I used and they can see/verify it's validity themselves?

No, you see... this is the c r a p that has ruined American business... arrogance.  Multi-Billion-dollar business does not care that their mistake is causing the consumer aggravation.  They don't care that they are essentially calling their paying customer a criminal.  They don't care that they are taking the customer's time.  as a matter of fact, truth be told, they would really like it if they can convince enough customers that either they have been taken buy some other business when/where they bought their PC and sold a pirated copy of software that very likely is just fine and valid... and hope that said consumer will simply shell out hundreds of more dollars to the already stuffed corporate coffers.

Actually, Vista was the same not-ready-for-prime-time mistake that 98 was and that ME was.  And sucker consumer was forced to buy 98SE/2000 or XP Pro.  Now we will have to give more money to the beast for v7 which by all accounts is just Vista with proper fixes.

I know some of you who answer these things are probably just nice folks who don't even work for MS and I am not griping at you.  I am not bashing MS for getting uber large... just for becoming the stereotypical big business that care more for the bottom line than the customer.  Luckily for MS they have a headlock on the business.  GM thought they could get away with putting the customer dead last and - due to competition - they got what they deserve.  Well, technically they did... sadly, our government is in bed with the CEOs and Board Members so they just took the money the consumers were not giving over voluntarily and gave it to them without GM actually having to give sub-quality product in return.
    Dang!

Yeah, I was bored and decided to vent.  Who knows, maybe some PR/Consumer Relations person at MS will catch note of this and do the right thing.  LOL!
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:44 PM
  • Hello Former TechNet Member,

"Why?  What is it going to tell you that I have not already made clear?"

It will provide us information regarding what is occuring in your Office software. If your goal in posting is to have us help you with your Non-Genuine issue, we need to know what information.

"I paid for my membership with TechNet (Microsoft).
    TN/MS sent me a DVD with Office 2007
    I installed from said DVD.
    I obtained my registration key from TN/MS website.
    It installed and registered just fine."

That is wonderful, and I hope you enjoyed your membership, but to troubleshoot your issue, we need to know what is happening in your Office and the Diagnostic Report will provide us that.  There are a large number of people in this forum that own Genuine Microsoft Software yet the software that is actually installed is Non-Genuine.  There are a number of scenarios in which this can occure, that I can go into later.  But first, a Diagnostic Report will be needed. 

"Obviously, Microsoft has goofed somewhere in their code on some update/patch/whatever and the consumer is being asked to jump through hoops in order to simply continue using something they already paid M$ to use."

That is possible, but (from my experience) unlikely. But we won't know this till we see your Diagnostic Report.  In addition, nothing is stopping you from using your software: Genuine or Not, no functionality has been removed. The Office Notifier is doing just that, notifying you that there is a problem.

I didn't read any further in your post since there didn't appear to be any additional information concerning the Non-Genuine issue that you came here to have troubleshoot.  Please tell me if I missed any pertinent information.

However, if, as you mentioned in the last line of your post, this was solely a Vent and your goal was to draw attention from a PR or Comsumer Relations persion (instead of from a support person, such as myself who is, in fact, not a multi-billionaires, by the way) then please tell me and I will move your thread to the 'Comments and Feedback' forum.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 9:38 PM
  • No reply from original poster.

Closing thread as Answered.

Darin MS
    Monday, October 12, 2009 9:29 PM