Hard Drive Problem with WHS and Acer EasyStore H340 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I'm desperate here. . .  My small law office bought an Acer H340 - it came with 1TB storage.  I set it up and pretty much everything was working perfectly - copied over all files from old server, had access with all 5 computers, etc . . .

Just received another 1 TB hard drive which I was going to set up as folder duplication.  Tried to add the drive and got the message "Drive partitioning and restart required", under that it reads, " The drive does not seem to have a partition. Please create a partition and restart WHS before trying to add the drive."

I ran a search on here and found this thread:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/f81ea5dc-35fc-49f1-bee3-158695c461eb

I managed to log onto the Acer Server and went into disk management.

I think I screwed up at that point.

I was looking at the two drives on the server and I think I chose the wrong one.  They both showed as partitioned, one was unallocated.  Rather than creating a partition (which seemed rather pointless since both drives read "partitioned"), I chose to make a partition active (I fear I accidentally chose the wrong drive) and then closed disk management and the remote console.  I then restarted the Acer Server.

Or I should say I attempted to restart the server. . . several times. . .

The power light is on.  The "i" is blinking.  The hard drive light comes on briefly and then doesn't come on at all.

Normal power off on the Acer is by holding down the power button for 4 seconds.  Now it goes off if I simply touch the power button for a 1/2 second.

If I try to log into WHS, I get a long message which starts "This computer cannot connect to your home server.  Check your network connection. . ."

Remote desktop can't connect for similar reason.

I have access to the rest of the network and the internet, so I don't think it's a network problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Rob
    Friday, July 31, 2009 3:37 PM

Answers

• Cannot find the server at all on the network - thus, cannot restore to factory default.

I'm at a loss.  It appears that sending the server off to Acer is the only fix - and it's only three days old.

I guess this may be a little late for you now, but may help others in a similar position. I also had an issue that required me to recover my Acer Aspire Easystore H340. No matter what I did, following the instructions to the letter, could i locate the server. I tried from a number of machines and none worked. After number ous failed connections I decried to start experimenting with the start-up process to put the server into recovery mode. To cut a LONG story short, Acer's instructions are WRONG!!!!

Here’s what you have to do

1.       Run the Server recovery CD on a PC and follow the instructions with regards to removing software (IGNORE THE REST FOR NOW)

2.       Turn off the Acer, hold power button for 4 seconds

3.       Using a paper-clip, or similar, push in the recovery button on the back of the unit and KEEP it pressed in WHILST you turn on the unit

4.       If you have done this correctly the i will flash RED on the front of the unit

5.       WAIT patiently until you see the network icon, on the front of the unit, flash BLUE

6.       Now you can press the NEXT button on the Server Recovery Software and it WILL find the server very quickly

7.       Follow the instructions now from the Server Recovery Software. It DOES take a long time to recover (best part of 1 hour on a Gigabit network). Shame they didn’t put the 3Gb image on the 1Tb drive to save time!!!

Hope that helps someone save a few days of struggle

PS Acer support are useless

• Proposed as answer by vris Monday, August 31, 2009 6:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Friday, January 15, 2010 11:27 PM
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 4:39 PM

All replies

• Oh yeah - the Server doesn't show either hard drive on the external lights.
    Friday, July 31, 2009 3:42 PM
  • The most likely option for getting the server running again is going to be to go through Acer's server recovery process, which should be described in the documentation you received with the server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, July 31, 2009 4:00 PM
  • Thanks - Tried the recovery . . . Cannot contact the server. Thus, cannot recover. Removed the 2nd drive and the 1st drive will still not show up on the external light of the server.
    • Edited by robwbright Friday, July 31, 2009 4:08 PM
    Friday, July 31, 2009 4:03 PM
  • By making the partition (probably on the main drive) active, did it essentially make the WHS unusable?
    Friday, July 31, 2009 4:04 PM
  • It shouldn't have bricked your server. Did you put the server itself into recovery mode?

Do you have data on your server which can't be replaced? If not, you may want to remove the system drive from your server, connect it to another PC, and delete all the partitions on that drive. Then put it back in the server and try another recovery. Also, given that this is an OEM device, you should be able to call Acer for support.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, July 31, 2009 4:32 PM
  • On the phone with ACER right now.  Sounds like India. . .   Thus far, not much help from them, although they've been quite friendly.

We transferred 20+ gig of legal documents to the Server.  I still have the originals (minus the last 24 hours), so I can do what you have recommended without hurting us too much.  I suspected that's what I was going to need to do.

Thanks again.  I do wish ACER had an online forum like this - this is far more efficient than phone calls with persons with heavy accents.
    Friday, July 31, 2009 4:39 PM
  • BTW, I'm not sure how to put the server into recovery mode as I cannot access the server at all.
    Friday, July 31, 2009 4:40 PM
  • Cannot find the server at all on the network - thus, cannot restore to factory default.

I'm at a loss.  It appears that sending the server off to Acer is the only fix - and it's only three days old.
    • Proposed as answer by Foden Sunday, August 16, 2009 4:28 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Friday, March 26, 2010 11:43 AM
    Friday, July 31, 2009 5:30 PM
  • I'm fairly certain there is a manual reset to factory defualts procedure. Did you try reading the back of the manual? I don't have it on me at the moment, but I think you can press some things physically on the server to reset it.

To recover the home server:

1 Place the Aspire easyStore H340 Server Recovery DVD in the DVD

drive of a computer connected to the network.

Or, double-click on the Acer ServerRecovery Utility.exe file to

begin installation. The Server Recovery window appears.

2 Click Next.

3 Read the End-User License Agreement. If you agree with the terms

of the agreement, then select the “I accept the terms of the user

license agreement” option button.

4 Click Next.

5 Uninstall the Acer Aspire easyStore H340 and Windows Home

Server Connector from your computer.

6 Troubleshooting

6 Recover the home server.

(1) Hold down the power button for 4 seconds to turn off the

home server.

(2) Press the power button to turn it on.

(3) Turn the system around so that you have access to the back of

the unit.

(4) Insert the end of an unfolded paperclip into the opening, and

then press and hold the recovery/reset button with the

paperclip end.

7 Click Next.

8 Select the “Server Recovery: Use this option to recover from a

system failure. You will lose your system settings and user

accounts. Data recovery will be attempted. (Recommended)”

option button.

9 Click Next and follow all onscreen instructions until you finish

recovery process.

To restore the home server to factory default setting:

1 Place the Server Recovery DVD in the DVD drive of a computer

connected to the network.

Or, double-click on the Acer ServerRecovery Utility.exe file to

begin installation. The Server Recovery window appears.

2 Click Next.

3 Read the End-User License Agreement. If you agree with the terms

of the agreement, then select the “I accept the terms of the user

license agreement” option button.

4 Click Next.

5 Uninstall the Acer Aspire easyStore H340 and Windows Home

Server Connector from your computer.

6 Troubleshooting

6 Recover or reset the home server:

(1) Hold down the power button for 4 seconds to turn off the

home server.

(2) Press the power button to turn it on.

(3) Turn the system around so that you have access to the back of

the unit.

(4) Insert the end of an unfolded paperclip into the opening, and

then press and hold the recovery/reset button with the

paperclip end.

7 Click Next.

8 Select the “Factory Reset: Use this option to restore factory

defaults. All your data and settings will be erased” option button.

9 Click Next and follow all onscreen instructions until you finish

restore process.

Friday, July 31, 2009 7:22 PM

I guess this may be a little late for you now, but may help others in a similar position. I also had an issue that required me to recover my Acer Aspire Easystore H340. No matter what I did, following the instructions to the letter, could i locate the server. I tried from a number of machines and none worked. After number ous failed connections I decried to start experimenting with the start-up process to put the server into recovery mode. To cut a LONG story short, Acer's instructions are WRONG!!!!

Here’s what you have to do

1.       Run the Server recovery CD on a PC and follow the instructions with regards to removing software (IGNORE THE REST FOR NOW)

2.       Turn off the Acer, hold power button for 4 seconds

3.       Using a paper-clip, or similar, push in the recovery button on the back of the unit and KEEP it pressed in WHILST you turn on the unit

4.       If you have done this correctly the i will flash RED on the front of the unit

5.       WAIT patiently until you see the network icon, on the front of the unit, flash BLUE

6.       Now you can press the NEXT button on the Server Recovery Software and it WILL find the server very quickly

7.       Follow the instructions now from the Server Recovery Software. It DOES take a long time to recover (best part of 1 hour on a Gigabit network). Shame they didn’t put the 3Gb image on the 1Tb drive to save time!!!

Hope that helps someone save a few days of struggle

PS Acer support are useless

• Proposed as answer by vris Monday, August 31, 2009 6:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Friday, January 15, 2010 11:27 PM
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 4:39 PM
  • Wow... Thanks so much Foden.  Amazing how well written instructions make a world of difference... Worked Beautifully.  The easystore server could not be found for recovery till I followed those instruction:

Thanks SOOOOO Much

Monday, August 31, 2009 6:17 PM
  • Gosh, THANK YOU so much.  I've been fighting this very issue for over a day now.  Currently restoring the system and hope to get it up and running soon.
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 1:14 AM
  • In the same boat, but any attempt to restore the server comes back to the same password prompt. I'm running the server restore from Windows 7. Any problem with that??  I've tried both the "Server Restore" option AND the "Factory Defaults" - on my 4th time.

I got the blinking "i" light, the network LED is blue, the "restoring server" progress bar proceeds until it says "Finish" & I click Next & then Finish & it reboots the server & I am right back where I started!

Dang this is frustrating!!!
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 1:58 AM
  • Unfortunately, after several minor variations of the above directions I kept getting a message stating something similar to "broken, send back to vendor for repair).  So I mailed it back and am waiting for it to return.  I did have it up and running for about an hour before it failed, during that time I was quite happy with it.  I hope I can get more than an hour's use out of it when it returns.

Yep, second the motion--this is frustrating!!!
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 9:17 AM
  • Great write-up,
    I get to the same point though, red light on, network light finally on, but still - server not found. grrr...
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 9:51 PM
  • Thank you very much for the info, your a genius! All my problems were solved. Acer was no help. On hold forever. Then bounced all over then hung up on, nice eh. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 12:21 AM
  • I can't thank you enough! I had wasted 4hrs trying to follow the SIMPLE instructions given by the s/w - had my rebuild started in 4 minutes with yours.

One minor revision - on #4 (wait for flashing red led) - is correct - clip/pen/etc can be removed once the light is flashing red - hand almost fell off after three mins.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 11:56 PM
  • If I "Restore" my WHS will I lose all my data?  What is the difference between Restore and Recover?

I am having a problem where the WHS Console and RDC will not let me in.  It lets me connect but when I enter my username and password it will fail at logging in.

Monday, October 26, 2009 3:17 AM
  • If I "Restore" my WHS will I lose all my data?  What is the difference between Restore and Recover?

I am having a problem where the WHS Console and RDC will not let me in.  It lets me connect but when I enter my username and password it will fail at logging in.

You would have to check with Acer to find which term represents which mode, but there should be 2 different recovery modes:  1 which wipes the OS partition, but leaves everything else alone, the other which wipes everything.  For OEM the options are Server Reinstallation (wipes only the OS) and New Installation (wipes everything).  The HP MSS call them Server Recovery and Factory Reset, respectively.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 1:35 AM
  • In the same boat, but any attempt to restore the server comes back to the same password prompt. I'm running the server restore from Windows 7. Any problem with that??  I've tried both the "Server Restore" option AND the "Factory Defaults" - on my 4th time.

I got the blinking "i" light, the network LED is blue, the "restoring server" progress bar proceeds until it says "Finish" & I click Next & then Finish & it reboots the server & I am right back where I started!

Dang this is frustrating!!!
    I'm getting the same issue, however with Win XP 32bit on the clients.

Powers on - hard drives are running - blue flashing "i" - network doesn't light up - hard drive bay lights don't light up

I did the recovery method with the paper clip, after about 15min of red flashing "i" the network was finally connected, OS re-installed, asked to reboot.....

annnnnd back to square 1:

Powers on - hard drives are running - blue flashing "i" - network doesn't light up - hard drive bay lights don't light up

Very frustrating as just this morning I transfered my entire collection of digital pics to the server.
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 10:53 PM
  • Heres a new one for ya...

Trying to restore my H340 to factory settings (saved off all my data off the server) ... XP PC finds the server...
    After formatting the drive it starts the install and....

1/9/2010 11:00:29 PM 7b4] Socket:: Read - timed out, retrying (asked for 4 bytes)

then it just repeats... and repeats...  etc...

AAARRGGHHH!

Suggestions?
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 4:02 AM
  • Heres a new one for ya...

Trying to restore my H340 to factory settings (saved off all my data off the server) ... XP PC finds the server...
    After formatting the drive it starts the install and....

1/9/2010 11:00:29 PM 7b4] Socket:: Read - timed out, retrying (asked for 4 bytes)

then it just repeats... and repeats...  etc...

AAARRGGHHH!

Suggestions?
    Have you tried contacting Acer for support yet?
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 5:22 PM
  • Hi Foden, How long should it take for the network activity light to start flashing blue? I am only getting the 'i' flashing red (still after 10 minutes). Should I be connecting the H340 and my notebook directly together with a crossover cable or via my router?
    Friday, March 26, 2010 10:02 AM
  • You should refer to the restore documents.  If it's like the HP restore there is a sweet spot to push the paperclip in.  Make sure you use a paperclip, anything bigger might just stick in the hole and not hit the mini switch, anything smaller may bend (or worse break) in the hole.

EastStore document in HTML:

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:4bou19JQkNkJ:www.acersupport.com/acerpanam/manuals/acer/0000/userguides/Aspire-easyStore_UG_EN_0205.pdf+Acer+EasyStore+H340+recovery&cd=12&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk#132 

Or in PDF:

http://www.acersupport.com/acerpanam/manuals/acer/0000/userguides/Aspire-easyStore_UG_EN_0205.pdf

You want page 118 - section 6.  Though Foden says the docs are wrong, his instructions are not working out for you.

The docs say to press the paperclip in after power on - you should try different timings - the light should change within a minute, 10 is far too long.

These days you can connect most 'consumer' network devices with either a normal cable or crossover cable when connecting network devices directly - irrespective of the server state (well at least powered on) you should get the link lights light up when means you are good.  So yes connect your laptop directly to your server with either type of cable for the most reliable connection.

--
    Friday, March 26, 2010 10:23 AM
  • What I found is you have to hold the paper clip in and hit next at the same time! I wne thru this several times and its not documented but once the paper clip is in hit next on the PC and then let go of the clip and it works every time (sadly) I have had to do it more than once LOL  (user error) not th ACER
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 2:31 PM
  • Acer H340 Technical support LVL 1 and LVL 2 : My grand-ma could do better !

Ok... Here's what's going on here.

Backplane temperature sensor was screwed up but everything else WAS working. We sent the unit to ACER with a note : DO NOT RECOVER THE SERVER.

They Changed the part....and recovered the server....Idiots...anyway...

We got the server back.. after they sent it to the wrong adress....

I hooked up power + Network...Nothing. Server was not going online, Red Solid "I".

Called Acer....Spoke to LVL 2. Totally useless....

Tried to recover again ....Finally got it to recover but only directly connected to a computer.

Now its recovered but when I turn it on :

POWER : Solid Blue

Network  Solid blue + Flash once in a while

HD Bays 1, 2, 3, 4 L Solid Purple

"I" : Solid Purple.

When  try a recovery I can only find the server when directly connected to a computer, won't find when connected to a router. Sounds like a Port issue. Can anyone tell me which port I should be opening ?

Also, How can you find the IP of the server , mine is not showing in my IP list in my D-LINK DGL-4300.

Thanks..

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 4:59 PM
  • The network interface should be set to Automatic (or DHCP).  Do you have DHCP turned on in your router?

--
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 8:00 PM
  • Is there any way to reformat/reinstall the H340 WITHOUT the recovery CD/DVD??

I cant find the CD anymore - couldn't find an ISO image anywhere on the web, and Acer support wants 100$ to send me a new one.... :-o

roger
    Monday, April 26, 2010 2:32 PM
  • Without the Recovery DVD you can't restore your Server.  If you bought your Server from a shop maybe they will be sympathetic and lend you the recovery media.
    --
    Monday, April 26, 2010 3:13 PM
  • It works!!! Than you 1000 times!
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 6:17 PM

While I used a Windows 7 client to run the Server Restore CD, it could never detect the server. As soon as I did the same using a (virtual) Windows XP client, the EasyStore  was found immediately and I could start the restore/reset.

The paperclip thing (that was in the manual), except that you need to keep it pressed for a short while. After the resd 'i' flashes it takes a LONG time before the blue network led starts flasing, so the comment about WAIT patiently was usefull to me too.

Monday, July 5, 2010 1:34 PM
  • I experienced the same thing, Roelof (Win7 failed; WinXP worked).  However, this only prolonged the pain.  After months of trying every possible variable, I could never get the Connector to handshake with the newly restored server.
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 5:24 AM
  • By the way, the reason its taking a long time is not because gbit takes long to push 3GB across its because of your DVD drive read. Just image the recovery DVD, mount it and run the mounted image...took me 4 minutes :) .

Hope this helps!

Thursday, July 8, 2010 7:15 PM
  • Rob...are you still having this problem? I had one very similar. I wanted to reinstall the h340 from scratch using the factory settings. My h340 is connected to a hub in our office. I tried to reinstall but the installation would get just part way and then not be able to locate the h340. After weeks of fussing & asking Acer techs for help, I finally connected the network cable directly to the h340 and the installation is currently looking like it will finish. It is now about 50% finished. check your cable.
    • Proposed as answer by k0jwj Thursday, November 11, 2010 12:10 AM
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 12:10 AM
  • Excellent information!  I tore my network apart trying to connect to that 'expletive' black box.  Could not remote connect, no home server connect, no nothing.  Foden saves the day!  Acre take a note.  Thanks! 
    Friday, January 21, 2011 3:07 PM
  • e same issue. turn it on and the hard drive blue light turns on for a short while, then off but the server light stays blue. tried the pin in many times for up to 10 minutes. any help will be appreciated,
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 10:44 AM
  • I am having these problems as well, unable to connect to the server in any way. Tried everything in this thread.

I've tried connecting to the server with a direct cable connection, wirelessly through the router, and with a cabled connection through the router.

I've tried using the recovery steps as outlined above using both Win 7 and a Win XP system.

I can easily get the flashing red 'i' icon on the server itself. It's just that nothing I do enables me to connect. It doesn't show up in my network devices, and after clicking 'next' in the recovery console disc, it goes through the whole search and still comes up with "No Server Found". I am at a loss, I've been working on this for five hours. Any other suggestions?

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 12:10 AM