can a plugin fired 'on create' update the record that activated the plugin RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for some guidance regarding a plugin. The plugin is to update a legacy SQL application, which seems to be straight forward enough. The plugin is fired on new_OAccount create.

I need to return a value back from the plugin into the same record.

I.e

New_Oaccount has a field new_LegacyGiud which is a text field. When a new record is added, the plugin is fired. The plugin executes a SQL stored procedure and returns back a string. I need to be able to update new_LegacyGuid with that string value

1. Can this be done from the same plugin?
    2. If not, what would be the best way to approach this.

I have a snippit of my plugin below. The only problem I have is how to update the record that has fired the plugin

Imports System

Imports System.Collections.Generic

Imports System.Linq

Imports System.Text

Imports Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk

Imports System.ServiceModel

Imports Microsoft.SqlServer

Imports System.IO

Imports CRM2013_Plugins.clsGlobals

Imports Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk.Query

Imports Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk.Messages

Namespace OAccountsAdd

Public Class cls_OAccounts_add

Implements IPlugin

Public Sub Execute(serviceProvider As System.IServiceProvider) Implements Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk.IPlugin.Execute

Dim context As IPluginExecutionContext = DirectCast(serviceProvider.GetService(GetType(IPluginExecutionContext)), IPluginExecutionContext)

If context.InputParameters.Contains("Target") AndAlso TypeOf context.InputParameters("Target") Is Entity Then

Dim entity As Entity = DirectCast(context.InputParameters("Target"), Entity)

Dim strLicence As String = String.Empty 'new_licence()

' Get Old SQL ID

Dim SQL_Connection As New SqlClient.SqlConnection

Dim SQL_Command As New SqlClient.SqlCommand

Dim SQL_Return_LegacyGUID As String = String.Empty

SQL_Connection = New SqlClient.SqlConnection(SQLConnectionString)

Try

SQL_Command.CommandType = CommandType.Text

SQL_Command.CommandText = "SELECT CAST(NEWID() as VARCHAR(50))"

SQL_Command.Connection = SQL_Connection

SQL_Connection.Open()

SQL_Return_LegacyGUID = SQL_Command.ExecuteScalar

Catch ex As Exception

Throw New InvalidPluginExecutionException("Error Generating GUID - " & ex.Message.ToString)

Finally

SQL_Connection.Close()

SQL_Connection.Dispose()

End Try

THIS IS WHERE I need to return the value from   SQL_Return_LegacyGUID back to the new_LegacyGUID field in CRM     

End Sub

End Class

End Namespace

Dont ask me .. i dont know

Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:22 PM

Answers

• Hello,

You can only use return value from your stored procedure to set in entity attribute if have registered your plugin on pre create so that before entity creation you can add that new field in entity propertybag. but if you have written post create, you need to call update method to update entity record something like below

Entity _entity = new Entity("yourentity");
                    _entity.Id = new Guid(context.OutputParameters.Properties["id"].ToString());
                    _entity["textfieldnamethat_youwanttoupdate"] = valuereturnedfromstoredprocedure;
                    _service.Update(_entity);

HTH

Our Website | Our Blog | Follow US | My Facebook Page | Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Application Design
    Make sure to "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer",if you get answer of your question.

• Proposed as answer by HIMBAPModerator Thursday, December 12, 2013 3:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Pete Newman Thursday, December 12, 2013 3:50 PM
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 3:47 PM