Extremely slow transfer speeds getting files out of a backup RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a new laptop replacing an old one. When I do this, I take the old laptop, make one last backup on it and then move the SSD into the new laptop. I format the whole drive and install Windows 7 freshly, get all the drivers, all the updates, MSE, and the Windows Home Server 2011 connector installed. Then I open the old backup, select the user's home folder to restore and wait for that operation to finish before parting the files out (restored desktop files to the real desktop, restored documents to the real documents, etc.)

Except in this case, WHS is only transferring around 80 KBps. I've got them both hooked up by a Gigabit Ethernet connection, and I can confirm this by a regular file transfer. I opened a share on the WHS and pulled down a file on the same laptop, while the file restore was proceeding, and got a sustained 95 MBps (760 Mbps). So I know the Gigabit link is working OK, and WHS isn't bogged down by any of the disks in question. I started it while there were no other operations going on on the WHS. It's currently going through and backing up other computers on the network, but that hasn't slowed the transfer.

So, why is my file restore out of the old system's latest backup proceeding so slowly?

My WHS is fairly simple. It has a Core i3, 4 GB of RAM, Gigabyte motherboard, two 7200 RPM drives in RAID 1 and is using the onboard Gigabit Ethernet connection. The new PC is an Envy 15, running a fresh install of Windows 7, all updates, MSE and the WHS connector. The WHS doesn't have any AV running and only one idle VM in VMware Player in the background. 

Monday, May 14, 2012 4:41 PM

Answers

• Read this forum and you will find that this type of file restore is very slow. Restoring a full partition is much, much quicker.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by redmaxx Monday, May 14, 2012 7:39 PM
    Monday, May 14, 2012 6:44 PM

All replies

• Read this forum and you will find that this type of file restore is very slow. Restoring a full partition is much, much quicker.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by redmaxx Monday, May 14, 2012 7:39 PM
    Monday, May 14, 2012 6:44 PM
  • I seem to recall it working before at around 30-50 Mbps, but in any case, I did a complete bare metal restore to another drive in the old laptop, then put that drive in a dock and connected it to the new laptop. Worked like a charm.
    Monday, May 14, 2012 7:39 PM