WGA Catch 22 RRS feed

• Question

• I don't quite understand why this is happening, but I have two laptops that are exibiting the same behaviour, and I cannot figure out how to get out of the cycle.

On both computers I was updating windows.  Along the way WGA was asked to be installed... np.  All the updates finished and I rebooted.  After rebooting WGA comes up and says it is "finishing the install".  But it never finishes.  I left them both overnight and came in and it still was sitting there "running process after installation".  I am logged in as local administartor of the machine, I don't find any instances of WGA under the run or runonce keys or in the startup folder.

I checked the event logs and it says on both computers that it needs to reboot to finish installing.  However it never gives me a window asking me to reboot. When I reboot, it just goes through the same process.

Please help.

Thanks.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 1:27 PM

Answers

• Take care Jgolden and glad you are up and running again :-).

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, March 26, 2009 5:34 PM
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 5:32 PM

All replies

• I found my own answer.... sorry.  I found it with Autoruns (sysinternals tool).  WGA was setting up a job (scheduled task) to run at user logon.  I deleted it and now it doesn't happen anymore.

I also forgot to mention both office and windows are validated on both laptops.  I went to the diagnostics page and it ran just find and passed all the tests.

Thanks anyway.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 1:36 PM
  • Take care Jgolden and glad you are up and running again :-).

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, March 26, 2009 5:34 PM
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 5:32 PM