Reinstall issue RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi.  I went to install the OEM version just purchased which would be an upgrade (ie. reinstall) from the evalution version.

I chose "reinstall" as my install option.

During the install it gave me the opportunity hit "esc" to quit the install which I needed to do since I realized that I had left the media card reader plugged into the motherboard which caused some drive letter issues on the original eval install.

I pressed "esc" to quit the install, it said something like "restoring files" and ended the install after a time.

I removed the card reader from the M/B, started up (with OEM DVD in drive), was expecting to again be able to chose "NEW INSTALLATION" or "REINSTALL" however this time the only option was "NEW INSTALLATION".  I tried again after hooking back up the media reader but got the same one choice "NEW INSTALLATION".

All that said, I have user backups on that drive (I am using a 1 drive system at this time) that I do not wish to lose.

Any way to save them or are they gone already?

Is it possible the data is still there AND usable so if I get a new drive, do a new install and then plug in the old drive (keeping the new drive as the WHS SINGLE drive) will I be able to transfer the old backups to the new drive?

Thanks!

Mark

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:41 PM

Answers

•  Markd2100 wrote:
    Hi.  I went to install the OEM version just purchased which would be an upgrade (ie. reinstall) from the evalution version.

During the install it gave me the opportunity hit "esc" to quit the install which I needed to do since I realized that I had left the media card reader plugged into the motherboard which caused some drive letter issues on the original eval install.

I pressed "esc" to quit the install, it said something like "restoring files" and ended the install after a time.

I removed the card reader from the M/B, started up (with OEM DVD in drive), was expecting to again be able to chose "NEW INSTALLATION" or "REINSTALL" however this time the only option was "NEW INSTALLATION".  I tried again after hooking back up the media reader but got the same one choice "NEW INSTALLATION".

Unfortunately, if your Server Reinstallation fails for any reason, you usually don't get a second chance.

Markd2100 wrote:
    All that said, I have user backups on that drive (I am using a 1 drive system at this time) that I do not wish to lose.

FYI, it's not a good idea to use WHS as a way to archive data like that.  The backup feature is designed for returning a client PC failure to a working state.  I would suggest you not use the backup function like that any more.

Markd2100 wrote:

They are probably still there.  My suggestion would be to pull the drive from WHS and hook it up to a client PC to verify.  The backup database will be under one of two locations.  First, look and see if there is an X:\DE\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}, where X is whatever letter is assigned to that drive once you hook it up.  (NOTE:  DE is a hidden directory so you'll need to enable Show hidden files and folders to see it.)  If that exists, it should contain your entire backup DB so copy it from that drive to another location.  If that path doesn't exist, then it should be under X:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}.

Markd2100 wrote:
    Is it possible the data is still there AND usable so if I get a new drive, do a new install and then plug in the old drive (keeping the new drive as the WHS SINGLE drive) will I be able to transfer the old backups to the new drive?

You would probably have problems going that route.  Since WHS is already semi-installed on the old drive and you would have another installation of WHS on the new drive, you could very well have problems when they are both in the same box.  I would use my suggestion above.

Markd2100 wrote:
    Thanks!

Mark

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 3:05 PM
  • Please try removing the C: partition from that drive, using a tool such as diskpart or Acronis Disk Director, and running the reinstall again. If that fails, then you should be able to copy your backup database off that drive temporarily, do a new install, then copy it back. You will find information about where to find the backup database and how to back it up/restore it in the Home Computer Backup technical brief. Note that if you can't boot your server any more (probably the case) that you will have to do any additional disk manipulation by connecting your system disk to another PC temporarily.
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 5:44 PM

All replies

•  Markd2100 wrote:

Unfortunately, if your Server Reinstallation fails for any reason, you usually don't get a second chance.

Markd2100 wrote:

FYI, it's not a good idea to use WHS as a way to archive data like that.  The backup feature is designed for returning a client PC failure to a working state.  I would suggest you not use the backup function like that any more.

Markd2100 wrote:

They are probably still there.  My suggestion would be to pull the drive from WHS and hook it up to a client PC to verify.  The backup database will be under one of two locations.  First, look and see if there is an X:\DE\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}, where X is whatever letter is assigned to that drive once you hook it up.  (NOTE:  DE is a hidden directory so you'll need to enable Show hidden files and folders to see it.)  If that exists, it should contain your entire backup DB so copy it from that drive to another location.  If that path doesn't exist, then it should be under X:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}.

Markd2100 wrote:

You would probably have problems going that route.  Since WHS is already semi-installed on the old drive and you would have another installation of WHS on the new drive, you could very well have problems when they are both in the same box.  I would use my suggestion above.

Markd2100 wrote:
    Thanks!

Mark

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 3:05 PM
  • Please try removing the C: partition from that drive, using a tool such as diskpart or Acronis Disk Director, and running the reinstall again. If that fails, then you should be able to copy your backup database off that drive temporarily, do a new install, then copy it back. You will find information about where to find the backup database and how to back it up/restore it in the Home Computer Backup technical brief. Note that if you can't boot your server any more (probably the case) that you will have to do any additional disk manipulation by connecting your system disk to another PC temporarily.
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 5:44 PM