Need Some Help with Error Messages RRS feed

• Question

• All of a sudden I cant connect to my WHS and the server does not see my main computer. I can ping both computers and they connect to the internet. I looked at my error logs and the following is showing up today:

Application Log:
    dns_master_load: named.cache:1: unexpected end of file
    dns_master_load: named.cache:1: unexpected end of input
    loading configuration: unexpected end of input
    exiting (due to fatal error)

Please, run Discovery.exe again. The server master certificate M339C4DF6557E4CA986C2D534D8DF5A59 is missing. It normally means that the server discovery (discovery.exe) was not run or was not run successfully. It also happens during the upgrade to Windows Vista.

System Log:
    The NVR0FLASHDev service failed to start due to the following error:
    The system cannot find the file specified.

The twdns service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).

I am running XP Pro which is fully updated. Any ideas about what is going on here? Appreciate the help!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:01 PM

Answers

• Ran the WHS Connection Troubleshooter and got the following:

The server internal Web services use TCP port 55000. This test may indicate that there is a problem with the Web services on your home server, but it is more likely that other problems are contributing to this issue.

Check the following:

• Your home server and home computers are connected to the same router.
    • Internet Information Services (IIS) is running on Windows Home Server.
    • The "WHS site" is started on IIS.
    • There is a security certificate installed on the "WHS site".
    • TCP ports 55000 and 56000 are open on your Windows Home Server Windows Firewall
    Confirmed all this is correctly set up on the server.  As of now I can ping both boxes. The WHS now sees the client. I can configure a back-up for the client from the server. The client can hit the 55000 port and download the connector. I can install the connector. But I cant run the connector and remote in to the server. Bout ready to break out the hammer...
    • Marked as answer by guydurrett Wednesday, January 27, 2010 5:12 PM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:01 PM

All replies

• I did manually run Discovery.exe but it did not connect either.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:09 PM
  • I just manually opened up Ports 80, 443, 4125, 55000 and 56000 in both firewalls and the router. Still cant connect.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:38 PM
  • Some additional info. I created a direct ethernet connection between my main computer and the WHS so as to more quickly copy over a TB of movies to the share and to see if the backup would perform any faster. It still took 21 hours to backup 3TB of data. Anyway when this was all done this morning I disabled the network ports that the direct connections were attached too and enabled the main network ports hooked to my home network. At that point the two computers could not see each other. Prior to setting up the direct connection they were communicating fine. So maybe I have somehow confused the server about which network connection it should be pointed too. Any thoughts?

FYI - copying movies using Terra Copy through the network was moving data at 8-12MBS. The direct ethernet connection was moving these same files at 50-70MBS big difference.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 8:03 PM
  • Ran the WHS Connection Troubleshooter and got the following:

The server internal Web services use TCP port 55000. This test may indicate that there is a problem with the Web services on your home server, but it is more likely that other problems are contributing to this issue.

Check the following:

• Your home server and home computers are connected to the same router.
    • Internet Information Services (IIS) is running on Windows Home Server.
    • The "WHS site" is started on IIS.
    • There is a security certificate installed on the "WHS site".
    • TCP ports 55000 and 56000 are open on your Windows Home Server Windows Firewall
    Confirmed all this is correctly set up on the server.  As of now I can ping both boxes. The WHS now sees the client. I can configure a back-up for the client from the server. The client can hit the 55000 port and download the connector. I can install the connector. But I cant run the connector and remote in to the server. Bout ready to break out the hammer...
    • Marked as answer by guydurrett Wednesday, January 27, 2010 5:12 PM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:01 PM
  • I had this same error message but it was caused by a different problem. I am sharing in case someone else runs into this problem some day.

My CMOS battery had died and my BIOS settings got reset. After this, I could not connect to my WHS. The problem was I forgot to set the time in my BIOS. This caused the master certificate to be invalid,  and therefore any attempt to connect to my WHS failed.  After correctly setting the time in my bios this error went away.

Friday, December 31, 2010 7:33 PM