70-564 Any Suggestions? RRS feed

• Question

• So, I passed 70-562 (ASP.NET v3.5 Application Development) and want to start looking at 70-564, which will upgrade my MCTS to MCPD.  Since there's no study guide out there yet, I'm trying to map out a good approach.

I'll probably take a thorough pass through the MS syllabus for the exam, and read up on each of the topics, some of which I think I already know a little about, since I've been working with ASP.NET for several years.  Then, I'll get the Transcender test and see what weaknesses that points out, which will lead to the inevitable couple days of cramming.

That's what I've done in the past, with reasonable success, but I've grown accustomed to using one of those study guides as part of the process.  They're usually not that great, but do seem to help as part of the whole routine.

What kinds of things will I need to know for 70-564 that I didn't need to know for 70-562?  I'm not looking for anyone to disclose anything they shouldn't but a little perspective - or any ideas on books, etc. - would be helpful.

btw - For anyone who's taking either 70-562 or 70-564 in c#, I'd really like to recommend "Pro ASP.NET 3.5 in C# 2008" by Matthew MacDonald and Mario Szpuszta.  It's an Apress publication.  It's not targeted to the exams (no help on Mobile Apps, for example) but is really thorough and will help you understand how ASP.NET works.

So, any further thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Sunday, April 4, 2010 3:33 PM

Answers

• Hi Rich,

I found that the 70-547 study guide pretty much did the job.  Compared the requirements for both exams and checked out the new features in terms of the MCPD exam.

Also found application architecture for .Net: Designing Applications and Services very good (And free in pdf format from patterns and practices team), the old version is also nice and short :-).

Hope this helps

Ozzy Geoff

MCPD * 5, MCITP*4

• Proposed as answer by Geoff Clark MCM Wednesday, April 7, 2010 12:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rich_876 Thursday, April 8, 2010 6:27 PM
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 12:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Rich,

I found that the 70-547 study guide pretty much did the job.  Compared the requirements for both exams and checked out the new features in terms of the MCPD exam.

Also found application architecture for .Net: Designing Applications and Services very good (And free in pdf format from patterns and practices team), the old version is also nice and short :-).

Hope this helps

Ozzy Geoff

MCPD * 5, MCITP*4

• Proposed as answer by Geoff Clark MCM Wednesday, April 7, 2010 12:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rich_876 Thursday, April 8, 2010 6:27 PM
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 12:02 AM
  • Thanks Ozzy - those sounds like a couple of good ideas
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 6:30 PM