Windows Visa Activation Status Verification... RRS feed

• Question

• Good Day,

I have owned Windows Vista now for almost 30 days , but it seems I have a few issues and questions before activating.

I have installed Vista Home premium (Retail x64) 5 times now on my PC (I'm having memory issues, bsods, and testing general stability before I decide to activate.)  My memory fails the Memory Diagnostic Tool test, yet still seems able to run Vista.  Also My Onboard LAN Adapter is dead.

The first time I installed Vista it crashed (bsod) during the install, but since then it has gotten better.

I am considering buying a new more current up to date motherboard.

So, I need to know if I can check to see if I have activated this copy by mistake.  (i.e. this is my 5th full install, and if I have not activated then I'd like to upgrade the motherboard before activating.)  I may have accidentally activated during one of the previous installs, and would like to know if this is the case.

I hope Microsoft is able to help me, thank you for your time!

Sealed14X
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008 11:34 AM

Answers

• You can always reset your Windows Vista activation by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation.

5.  Once completed, restart your computer.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 2:26 PM

All replies

• Open Welcome Center located in the Control Panel, then click on View computer details and look under the Windows activation heading for the current activation status.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 12:32 PM
  • When doing this it shows:

Windows Activation:
    19 day(s) left to activate.  Activate Windows now

So for this install (#5) I have 19 days left to activate, however please note that when reloading the OS this timer resets to 30 days, and you are given the option to automatically activate windows when entering your key for the install.  (This option is checked by default)  My only concern is that in a previous install it may have activated and I want to check this.

I am aware that once you activate vista, if you change out the to a new (other, not the same) motherboard, you must then buy a new vista key.

I get the feeling that I might just have to get the new motherboard and pray that it will activate.  If you need any other data from e please let me know.

Thanks for your time!
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008 2:08 PM
  • You can always reset your Windows Vista activation by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation.

5.  Once completed, restart your computer.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 2:26 PM