Installation Doesnt Accept Product Code RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 XP Home and 2 XP Pro product codes from outdated computers, and would like to use them on new computers I am building... however, every time I try to install and it gets to the product code, it says the code is not valid.  I have tried 3-4 different XP CD's and they all dont work.  I assume for some reason only certain CD's work with certain product codes?  I am not mixing between Home and Pro btw.

If so, how do I get a copy of the CD that WILL work with the product code I have?  I have even tried the XP Slipstream with SP3 on it, still no go.
    Friday, October 9, 2009 3:56 AM

Answers

• No reply from original poster.

Closing thread as Answered.

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:40 PM
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:40 PM

All replies

• hello JMasterJ,

Would these 2 Home and 2 Pro product keys be from the Certificate of Authenticity stickers on the computer cases?
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, October 9, 2009 2:35 PM
  • No reply from original poster.

Closing thread as Answered.

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:40 PM
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:40 PM
  • Yes they are... so is there any way to salvage them somehow?
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 12:05 AM
  • Hello JMasterJ,

The End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) for OEM licenses (a CoA with a product key printed on it means it's an OEM license) does not permit the license to be used on any computer other than the one it was first installed on.  So, the EULA says you cannot use these licenses from old computers on newly built computers--the licenses are good only on their original computer.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 1:53 AM