PRE-RELEASE GENUINE ADVANTAGE VALIDATION TOOL? "HIGH PRIORITY? WHY? RRS feed

• Question

• The following are the first few lines of the EULA for the Validation tool being pushed as a "High Priority" update for for at least the 26 hours preceding 27 Apr/0052 PDT.

MICROSOFT PRE-RELEASE SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS
    MICROSOFT WINDOWS GENUINE ADVANTAGE VALIDATION TOOL
    These license terms are an agreement between Microsoft Corporation (or based on where you live, one of its affiliates) and you.  Please read them.  They apply to the pre-release software named above, which includes the media on which you received it, if any.  The terms also apply to any Microsoft.....

What the #@%#$%#@ is BETA software doing as a "High Priority" update??????

Thursday, April 27, 2006 7:54 AM

Answers

• Lazarus:

I understand the frustration you are going through currently. Our FAQ addresses this question (www.microsoft.com/genuine) - This pre-release is essentially to state it is not a full-release worldwide.

Please rest assured these programs have been tested and tried very thorougly worldwide as well.

-Phil Liu

Thursday, April 27, 2006 5:35 PM
  • Lazarus:

Thank you for the input. As mentioned before, our intention was to have pre-release signify that this release is for select users in limited geographies. A full release will be available for all users, worldwide, soon. We understand that the phrase "pre-release" might cause some confusion with users and we appreciate the feedback.

I've taken the feedback back to our team and other partner teams as well.

Cheers,

-Phil Liu

Thursday, April 27, 2006 8:59 PM

All replies

• Lazarus:

I understand the frustration you are going through currently. Our FAQ addresses this question (www.microsoft.com/genuine) - This pre-release is essentially to state it is not a full-release worldwide.

Please rest assured these programs have been tested and tried very thorougly worldwide as well.

-Phil Liu

Thursday, April 27, 2006 5:35 PM
  • "Pre-release" and "not a full-release worldwide" are not equivalent terms. 

If what you say is true, not that I doubt your word, the EULA should say so.  Asking me to consent to have "pre-release" software installed is a completely different thing.  Surely someone at Microsoft could come up with a way of saying this software is fully tested but released only in selected regions.

By the way, before posting, I did search Microsoft.com for information on this matter and found nothing.  I also examined the FAQ and, while I did not expand each question and read each answer, I found no questions to have any apparent relationship to this question.

Thursday, April 27, 2006 6:15 PM
  •  

The Notifications software has been availible since early February in other countries worldwide.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905474/

Thursday, April 27, 2006 6:34 PM
  • You're kidding, right?

Is there no one at Microsoft who can explain that "pre-release" has a specific meaning in the IT world which is NOT "released only in select regions of the world"?  "Pre-release" means the software is still in testing, which is not the state of the genuine advantage effort so far as I know.

I have participated in the genuine advantage program since the initiative itself was in beta and have no problem either with the goals of the program or with the authenticity of any of my software.  However, I will not install any download whose EULA states that it is "pre-release" software.

This is simply insane.

Thursday, April 27, 2006 6:51 PM
  • Lazarus:

Thank you for the input. As mentioned before, our intention was to have pre-release signify that this release is for select users in limited geographies. A full release will be available for all users, worldwide, soon. We understand that the phrase "pre-release" might cause some confusion with users and we appreciate the feedback.

I've taken the feedback back to our team and other partner teams as well.

Cheers,

-Phil Liu

Thursday, April 27, 2006 8:59 PM
  • Hmm, why the heck is a Advantage Validation tool High Priority?

It doesn't feel especially High-Pri to me.

I bought the copy shortly after launch at a store near Microsoft campus, and have had no problems with it, other than when I foolishly added a hard drive and had to make that tedious call to get an extremely long number read over the phone to me in a accent that was torturous to understand.

I am EIGHTY some patches (let's call them what they are) into this product (including XP Office). If it ain't a valid copy, I believe a problem would have shown up before now. 

This licensing and validation business has gotten way out of hand. It is NOT good for the customer.

I have read over the various links, some of which try to convince me that it is "good for me". 

I still see nothing that indicates this "tool" is of any advantage to me personally.  It is a time waster. Vitamins may be good for me.  Installing items that offer me no value, is not "good for me".

Thursday, April 27, 2006 10:09 PM
  • This tool is made to inform users running non-genuine copies of Windows that they may have been taken advantage of by others.

Certainly, knowledge is power. :)

Friday, April 28, 2006 2:00 AM
  • I appreciate that some users may not know if they are running a legitimately licensed version of Windows, but there are some users (such as myself and others in this forum) that know that they are, and knew before the WGA program started. I (and others) have validated our copy of Windows using WGA for some time. For these users, it is not necessary for Microsoft to download or install such "notification" software on their computer, and I cannot see how it fits the description of "high priority" for any user.

The only reason that I can see that this update is "high priority" is so that Automatic Updates downloads it and installs it without the user's intervention. Perhaps that might be desirable for some users, but it certainly isn't for me. I don't want to spend time downloading software that has no use to me, runs every time I log on to Windows, and can't be uninstalled. I previously had Automatic Updates enabled on my PC, but because Microsoft has chosen to call WGA notification software "high priority", I've disabled AU because I don't agree with Microsoft's classifications.

Is this the intention of the WGA program? Perhaps Microsoft should investigate a technical solution that allows users to disable this type of update (without scary "you have disabled some high priority updates!" messages on the WU website and in the Windows security center) who have validated, legitimately licensed copies of Windows. There's a fine line between minimizing piracy and annoying legitimate paying customers.

Saturday, May 6, 2006 7:16 AM
  • Editing - see comments
    Saturday, May 6, 2006 4:17 PM
  •  Lazarus439 wrote:

This may be the real problem in Redmond - they really have stopped listening to their customers.

We're listening. We take forum posts like this very seriously in order to best serve the customer experience and needs. I guarantee you that many departments are reading this forum, and more.

-Phil Liu

Sunday, May 7, 2006 7:55 AM
  • Editing - See comments

D
    Sunday, May 7, 2006 5:02 PM
  • Lazarus:

Racial slurs and comments like that will not be tolerated. While we appreciate the comments and feedback of all users, we do not appreciate comments such as this.

This is your ONLY warning.

I will be removing your posts that hint at racial slurs, or directly talk about them.

Good day.

-Phil Liu

Sunday, May 7, 2006 5:19 PM
  • My apologies for what you determined to be a racial slur.  It was not intended to be one. 

However, the fact remains that if Microsoft seriously thinks that "PRE-RELEASE" and "not in full world-wide" release are synonominous there is a problem somewhere.

To 99.9999% of those at all familiar with the term, "PRE-RELEASE" means that the program in question - and I do mean the actual piece of code to which the EULA in question is attached; not the Windows Genuine initiative - is not fully developed and tested to Microsoft's own standards for release as a fully operational program.  It's "BETA", not "GOLD" or "RTM" software and most assuredly has not business being offered as a “High Priority” Update.  Unless someone specifically requested to be informed of BETA software, it should not show up in Windows/Microsoft Update at all.

"Not in full world-wide release" means something totally different and exactly what it says: the program is not being distributed world wide but is restricted to certain geographic regions.

To blame your lawyers for making the EULA say that "PRE-RELEASE" means "not in full world-wide release" is to insult your lawyers.  Microsoft has EULAs that use both phrases and heretofore, the EULAs have been applied in a manor consistent with the actual status of the program in question.  Consequently, it seems rather incredible that the legal department would make such a mistake and that no one in the entire process of releasing the program caught this blatant error.

And this comes back to the original question: is this particular update to the “Windows Genuine Advantage Notification tool” actually a production quality program in which someone has made a glaring but harmless mistake by labeling it “PRE-RELEASE” or is it actually a BETA program that someone has made a glaring and potentially damaging mistake by releasing before all the requisite testing and quality control has been completed?

Sunday, May 7, 2006 10:52 PM
  • .. or is this production-quality software that Microsoft knows will cause harm to some users, many of whom are 'innocents', and which MS has thus licensed under a pre-release EULA to limit their legal exposure?

Monday, May 8, 2006 1:38 AM
  • Well Mr Liu, I have read your microsoft-speak and you are dodging just about everything put to you.

Your replies are typical of some poor chap who has been ordered to stick his head up over the trench and receive 'incoming'

Its of 'no advantage' to me.  I didnt want this thing on my computer, having already authenticated/validated my OEM within minutes of start-up of my new computer in Dec 2005.

I now consider it as an intrusion of my privacy - what else it is doing whilst fixed in my system is a worry.  And dont reply that it is harmless and that I can disable it etc etc.  Cos I am becoming very sceptical of MS in general.

Anything that I have on my computer I can uninstall - this I cant and that realy pizzes me off.

I now consider it as 'spam' and spyware.  I have yet to see a satisfactory explanation as to WHY is has to stay unwanted on my computer.

If you realy want to streamline/smooth or whatever it is, with the use of this tool, then give me a means by which I can remove this 'fatherless' item from my computer.

That would make me happy. 

Tuesday, May 9, 2006 12:30 AM
  •  DAMASCUS wrote:

Its of 'no advantage' to me.  I didnt want this thing on my computer, having already authenticated/validated my OEM within minutes of start-up of my new computer in Dec 2005.

If you are using a genuine-system, then WGA is quite transparent. It is advantageous for non-genuine users who are not aware of the business practices of shops that may be fixing their machine.

DAMASCUS wrote:

I now consider it as an intrusion of my privacy - what else it is doing whilst fixed in my system is a worry.  And dont reply that it is harmless and that I can disable it etc etc.  Cos I am becoming very sceptical of MS in general.

Anything that I have on my computer I can uninstall - this I cant and that realy pizzes me off.

I now consider it as 'spam' and spyware.  I have yet to see a satisfactory explanation as to WHY is has to stay unwanted on my computer.

If you realy want to streamline/smooth or whatever it is, with the use of this tool, then give me a means by which I can remove this 'fatherless' item from my computer.

That would make me happy. 

Damascus:

Thanks for your comments and clarification. The Genuine Advantage Notifications program does allow for users to opt out of the program. This can be done during the Automatic Updates process (or Windows/Microsoft Updates) process. Your comments are a valuable part of this process, and we definitely have taken note.

I apologize for not quoting you entirely, but I had removed some of the quote text that did not have any substance to the original comments.

-Phil Liu

Tuesday, May 9, 2006 2:14 AM
  • You continue to dodge my original question: 

Is this particular update to the “Windows Genuine Advantage Notification tool” actually a production quality program in which someone has made a glaring but harmless mistake by labeling it “PRE-RELEASE” or is it actually a BETA program that someone has made a glaring and potentially damaging mistake by releasing before all the requisite testing and quality control has been completed?

I have heretofore installed the Windows Genuine Advantage program on all the computers I maintain, both personally and professionally (I am a consultant).  However, until I get a coherent answer - which you have yet to provide - I will cease doing so and advise those I support that their computers may be AT RISK because Microsoft may have released a program that is not fully tested but which it nevertheless is trying to force on their computers as a "critical" update.    Furthermore, should I not get such an answer, my next step will be to refer this matter to the trade press in hopes that one of them can find someone in Redmond who will actually address it.
    Friday, May 19, 2006 4:24 AM
  • The major problem here is that the continued 'change' in level of service results in a loss of trust.

I no longer trust you to deliver a real operating system.  Every now and then a change occurs often implying that we are cheating you. But MS is cheating us.  Talking network bandwidth, cpu cycles to AGAIN check to see if one of our two computers has a valid copy of WIN XP.  We have 5 copies, but normally only two computers work.

From my point of view UBUNTU is looking very good.  I was interested in Vista, but that is beginning to fade.

Windows Genuine Advantage is a lie.  There is only advantage to YOU, not to the basic user.  I cannot count the number of times we had to stop everything to let MS determine if our SW, purchase for Office Depot, was genuine.  Don't ask me ask the vendor I purchased if from.  Your tracking system does not seem to be all the great when it comes to use small fry.

I have used MS software for a long time [I saw the 35MM slide presentation of the FIRST windows idea, before it was an operating system.  Too bad you sold Xenix, it had potential.

Do you really think about the user?

It does not seem like if from my point of view.

For a footnote, it must be noted that your company, has nearly always been able to move the SOFTWARE platform in a good direction, adding functionality and 'ease' of use.  But we all make mistakes, remember BOB?

Good luck, but try and think about how we see you invasion of our Windows operating system with the WGA...

/r

George Jannison

Friday, March 30, 2007 4:28 AM