Windows 7 Key Upgrade Only Key RRS feed

• Question

• Apparently, my key is "upgrade only".

Well, what sucks is that I used it on my computer when upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7 (Ultimate). Then, the hard drive fried. I lost everything, and reinstalled Windows 7 as a clean install. 

It's telling me it is for upgrade only. I have the key and everything. I just need a way around the unreasonable need to upgrade. I would do it if I didn't already have everything set up on my computer. Help!

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 1:09 AM

Answers

• Upgrade Setup needs to find an installed Windows before you can use an upgrade product key. 

You can try telephone activation.  Click Start and type "slui 4".  Don't respond to any audio prompts and evenually you will be connected to a live agent.  There is no guarantee the agent will activate for you but he probably will.  If not, then reinstall XP and upgrade normally.  I suggest that you start making image backups in case another problem develops in the future.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 1:26 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Upgrade Setup needs to find an installed Windows before you can use an upgrade product key. 

You can try telephone activation.  Click Start and type "slui 4".  Don't respond to any audio prompts and evenually you will be connected to a live agent.  There is no guarantee the agent will activate for you but he probably will.  If not, then reinstall XP and upgrade normally.  I suggest that you start making image backups in case another problem develops in the future.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 1:26 AM
    Answerer
  • Hmm... I was sitting here pondering your words. The first time I called, before you posted that reply, they had been very rude to me. They told me I lied about everything I said and there was nothing I could do. All for the first lady who was very polite and I was only on the line with for a short time. They then hung up on me when I asked them what was wrong.

I called again after you suggested it and a very nice lady got straight to the chase instead of spamming me with meaningless questions. She asked for the Activation ID, confirmed it, and sent me straight to the automated line to get the rest of my code.

If anyone reads this, I HIGHLY recommend not saying ANYTHING to the automated system in the beginning until it says, "Would you like to be transferred to a representative?". That is the only way to truely get help with this issue. They will take your code and activate for you version of Windows 7 Ultimate regardless of whether or not it is "upgrade only" or "clean install".

Thank you so much! I appreciate your help!

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 10:04 PM
  • You're welcome.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 10:26 PM
    Answerer