cerification RRS feed

• Question

• what 's the difference between credential.spc and orgcert.pfx
    • Changed type Mr. Wharty Thursday, June 7, 2012 3:56 AM
    • Moved by Mr. Wharty Thursday, June 7, 2012 3:57 AM (From:Training and Certification)
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 9:30 AM

Answers

• Hi,

now I start to understand what you are doing. Please correct me, if I missunderstand your situation:

- You want to register at winqual.microsoft.com and for this you need to create a company account.
    - You bought a certificate already (Heya - they have the 99$ offer again! Good luck that I tried to help you! I was waiting for that and maybe I missed it all the time ... what a shame!)
    - So when following the steps given, you
      a) downloaded the winqual.exe file
      b) downlaoded the signcode program
      c) did the command you gave on top? Did it work? The result should be a signed EXE!

Once you are that far, the next step is to upload the signed file. The software on the server will then check, that the file was certified correctly and it will read some values from it. (I think this is microsofts easy way to verify your company. When getting the certificate for your company, verisign should have asked you to prove that it is your company and that you are responsible for it!)

So somewhere in here you ran into a problem. It seems that the signing failed somehow. Did you get an error? What output did you get? (I didn't check your command so far, but the pages of microsoft had links to some other pages where the software is described in detail. Maybe we should check these to find out? If you descrieb your problem in more detail, I am willing to read all that - but I never did all this on my own so far - but I will have to do these steps in the not so far future, too!)

With kidn regards,

Konrad

• Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Thursday, June 7, 2012 3:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mr. Wharty Thursday, June 7, 2012 3:56 AM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

the spc file contains a certificate that can be used to sign software or software packages. The pfx file contains a certificate that is normaly installed on a system to build up some trust level there or to secure something through SSL.

(This is a very low level answer. If you are really interested in this topic, then please go and read about the different ertificates you might buy e.g. at verisign)

With kind regards,

Konrad

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 10:05 AM
  • glad to receive from u an answer but my problem is to establish an account at winqual.com

1step i ve subsribe at verisgn.com to obtain digital ID after they send me 2 files privatekey.pvk and credential.spc,they tell me to put 2 files in folder c:\keys,then download signcode.exe and winqual.exe(file to sign),after type cmd and enter the  command 

signcode -spc mycredentials.spc -v myprivatekey.pvk -t http://timestamp.verisign.com/scripts/timstamp.dll winqual.exe                                   

but it's already fail i have not find the answer of this problem please show me how

thank u

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 10:22 AM
  • Hi,

now I am a little confused. What do you try to do? You have an exe (self made) and you have to sign it? Then the command is correct.

But what is this winqual.com? I tried to look up but http://www.winqual.com is not found.

Could you please try to provide more information about your goal and what you are trying. And what error you get exactly?

Konrad

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 11:05 AM
  • i want to establish an account at winqual.microsoft.com so i need to sign with file credential

that is the purpose

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 12:02 PM
  • Hi,

now I start to understand what you are doing. Please correct me, if I missunderstand your situation:

- You want to register at winqual.microsoft.com and for this you need to create a company account.
    - You bought a certificate already (Heya - they have the 99$ offer again! Good luck that I tried to help you! I was waiting for that and maybe I missed it all the time ... what a shame!)
    - So when following the steps given, you
      a) downloaded the winqual.exe file
      b) downlaoded the signcode program
      c) did the command you gave on top? Did it work? The result should be a signed EXE!

Once you are that far, the next step is to upload the signed file. The software on the server will then check, that the file was certified correctly and it will read some values from it. (I think this is microsofts easy way to verify your company. When getting the certificate for your company, verisign should have asked you to prove that it is your company and that you are responsible for it!)

So somewhere in here you ran into a problem. It seems that the signing failed somehow. Did you get an error? What output did you get? (I didn't check your command so far, but the pages of microsoft had links to some other pages where the software is described in detail. Maybe we should check these to find out? If you descrieb your problem in more detail, I am willing to read all that - but I never did all this on my own so far - but I will have to do these steps in the not so far future, too!)

With kidn regards,

Konrad

• Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Thursday, June 7, 2012 3:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mr. Wharty Thursday, June 7, 2012 3:56 AM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1:41 PM