Can not access folders on home server and server denying me access....... RRS feed

• Question

• How do i change my permisions on my home server to allow my computers to veiw my existing folders? I already have my server connect software installed on my computers and it has installed properly without any errors.  For example when i try to access my photos folders on my home server and it says that the folder is not accessible and acess is denied......  i have tried to reinstall the software and it still didnt fix the problem and tried changing the user permisions and still no affect............. i am running windows server 2009 with SP2 with all current updates and i am using a intel based chipset motherboard................. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 11:31 PM

All replies

• How do i change my permisions on my home server to allow my computers to veiw my existing folders? I already have my server connect software installed on my computers and it has installed properly without any errors.  For example when i try to access my photos folders on my home server and it says that the folder is not accessible and acess is denied......  i have tried to reinstall the software and it still didnt fix the problem and tried changing the user permisions and still no affect............. i am running windows server 2009 with SP2 with all current updates and i am using a intel based chipset motherboard................. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you.
    (FYI, there is no Windows Server 2009.  It's called Windows Home Server.)

The Connector software has nothing to do with permissions to the server shares.  It's strictly based on user name and password.  Please see the FAQ post:  How to fix share access where user name and password are requested for a potential solution to your problem.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 3:30 AM
  • The usual possibilities, why access is denied, are:
    a) wrong user name (which is the point of the FAQ mentioned above) - did you create users with identical passwords like on the clients in the console?
    b) wrong permissions set (correct them in the console by double clicking the shared folder and adjust the permissions on the user access tab
    c) issues with the disk (since Windows Home Server distributes the content of shared folders to different drives, an issue with the hardware may return the irritating message as well) - check the event log of the server for disk related error messages (usually red marked and ntfs as event source)

After changing permissions you may have to logoff on the client to get the permissions properly assigned to the session.
    You should also avoid to enable the guest account on the server.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Saturday, August 15, 2009 10:50 AM
  • what i did was uninstall my eset antivirus and go with avira. all good from there on.
    Monday, August 17, 2009 1:42 AM