Looking to build my first WHS machine RRS feed

• General discussion

• As the title says i'm new to WHS but i have built computers for years and now i want to build a home server. i would like to use a low watt X2 Amd cpu and about 2GB of ram. Does anyone have a suggestion on a main board that runs well with WHS and not a whole lot of driver issues.

thanks for your time

Thursday, December 18, 2008 6:01 PM

All replies

• I built my server about 6 weeks ago:

Silverstone SUGO SG02B-F Case
    SeaSonic S12 II SS-330GB Power Supply
    GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2 AM2+/AM2 AMD 740G Micro ATX AMD Mobo
    AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz Socket AM2 45W Dual-core CPU
    SILVERSTONE NT07-AM2 80mm CPU Cooler
    CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM -TWIN2X2048-6400C4
    Microsoft Windows Home Server 32 Bit 1 Pack (Power pack 1) - OEM
    Western Digital Caviar GP WD7500AACS 750GB Hard Drives Qty=2

Had one minor problem initially. At my first boot up - no video! Cleared the CMOS and the video came up! Then, I setup the BIOS and installed WHS. Last, I just installed the recommended drivers right off of the disk that came with the Mobo. I didn't bother looking for updated drivers. It's been running fine.

Regards,
    Scott
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 7:34 PM
  • Atix,

It's worthwhile reading the 17 page thread  "Whats in your Server" , there are a vast array of possibilities available to you and this has some good information.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 6:55 PM
  • Atix said:

As the title says i'm new to WHS but i have built computers for years and now i want to build a home server. i would like to use a low watt X2 Amd cpu and about 2GB of ram. Does anyone have a suggestion on a main board that runs well with WHS and not a whole lot of driver issues.

thanks for your time

Any MB you purchase now should have adequate support for Win2003 kernel that WHS is built upon.     Just make sure any additional peripherals you use have drivers for 2003 Sever, or Windows XP and you will be good to go.      An AMD X2 processor with 2GB of RAM is plenty for WHS.    You will want to think out how you will add drives as your WHS storage expands.   MS only recommends one USB Drive per USB controller (this is definately error way on the side of caution) so you will want to make sure the tower you use has enough slots for drive expansion, and multiple SATA ports, or you can always built out using a Esata.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 4:53 PM
  • Hi,

The requirement regarding one USB drive per controller is a valid one; there have been numerous system faults traced to being caused by having multiple drives one one hub. It isn't a straightforward statement 'two drives-guaranteed fail', but the number of errors caused by this on early betas led to this recommendation.

Personally, I would never-ever use external USB drives as part of the storage pool, but would only ever use them for off site backups.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 6:17 PM
  • Colin Hodgson said:

Hi,

The requirement regarding one USB drive per controller is a valid one; there have been numerous system faults traced to being caused by having multiple drives one one hub. It isn't a straightforward statement 'two drives-guaranteed fail', but the number of errors caused by this on early betas led to this recommendation.

Personally, I would never-ever use external USB drives as part of the storage pool, but would only ever use them for off site backups.

Colin

Thanks for the follow up Colin.     I currently have 4 USB Drives in my storage pool, (10 drives total) and I am not having any issues to date and the system has been running stable for months.   I do not plan on adding anymore USB drives to the pool, but there are 0 errors in my system event logs and I would think if there was a problem some errors would be evident?      I use WHS to house my Music and DVD Images, and there is basically only one user accessing data at a given time.    Do you think WHS PP1 is more stable in regards to USB than the early betas??
    Monday, January 19, 2009 3:55 PM