none
Error: Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID XXX failed due to the following error: 80110802 RRS feed

• Question

• Currently our system has an ASP.net website (3.5) running in IIS7.5 on Windows 2008 r2 (64-bit). Inside this system there is a DLL that is consumed to talk to another system. Within IIS Enabled 32-bit applications is already TRUE.

The DLL being used was written in VB6 and is rock solid and has been for well over a decade.

The website was re-developed and built on a 32-bit Vista system with VS2008 Professional. There is no way to select x86 instead of Any CPU. The website has gone through updates of the various .net incarnations.

The DLL works perfectly on its own. The website works perfectly on its own. It is only when you allow the website to use the DLL that there is a problem.

The error in the title is what is shown in the second event log entry.

The code below is how the website consumes the DLL.

Public Function CreateObj(Byref poController as Controller) as boolean
    Try
    	poController = New ControllerClass
    	Return True
    Catch ex As Exception
    	EVlog.WriteEntry("Unable to attach to ControllerClass", "error")
    	EVlog.WriteEntry(ex.Message.ToString, "info")
    	Return False
    End Try
    End Function

This thread was no help to me and I have tried changing settings to no avail. Someone said they "hacked" the sln file to build as x86 but has never said how. I'm totally out of ideas and out of googles, any ideas?

• Moved by Min ZhuModerator Wednesday, October 24, 2012 1:34 AM (From:Common Language Runtime)
    Friday, October 19, 2012 11:37 AM

All replies

• Hi ritchie,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

This is an issue about how to call x86 COM component on a x64 machine in IIS.

I suggest you try IIS forum: http://forums.iis.net/ 

Best regards,

Mike Feng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, October 22, 2012 10:32 AM
  • Thank you for your response.

I had realised that a "AnyCPU" website on a x64 machine calling an x86 COM component was my problem thanks to multiple searches but everyone talks about web applications not websites. I shall post another thread on the IIS forum.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 3:34 PM
  • How? Take a closer look at mark zuckerburg at Facebook. His whole website is designed by hackers which is he has self proclaimed to be "a way of life."

Christine Sindelar

• Proposed as answer by Christine Sindelar Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:07 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike Danes Tuesday, October 23, 2012 5:09 PM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:04 PM