hit by a warm, re-installed genuine windows xp home edtion 2002 cd but can not activate product key RRS feed

• Question

• Hullo Support team, I'm Alex M S.  My laptop was hit by a warm and I decided to re-install the windows xp home edition version 2002, service pack 2, which before was working excellent. Little did I know I had lost the product key. I searched on internet and found RXRKX-X6747-V3VXH-7YWKM-733KT. It was accepted on installation but now windows can not activate. Am desperately looking at my genuine cd wondering what to do next. I will appreciate any information on how to recover the product key or to get a replacement.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 7:57 AM

Answers

• Hello Alex M S,

OK, thank you for clearing that up.

As I understand the situation, your Acer TravelMate computer does not have a Certificate of Authenticity for Windows.

Also, I understand that you have what appears to be a Genuine Microsoft OEM installation CD for Windows XP Home Editoon, and you have the green user guide pamphlet.  The pamphlet and the CD did not come with a Certificate of Authenticty.

Unfortunately, without a Certificate of Authenticity and its accompanying product key, which should have been included in your purchase of the Windows XP Home licensing kit to make it a complete and effective kit, the materials you have are useless.  Please contact the person or company from whom you purchased the materials and make arrangements to get the missing part of the kit, which is the CoA with its product key.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:40 PM
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:12 AM

All replies

• Hello Alex M S,

Please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”; you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1.      After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.

2.      Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Next look on the computer itself, in the documentation you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key that may be printed on the CoA.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 1:29 PM
  • Dear Dan,

The information is copied is pasted below.  The edition of windows xp is for Home ( windows xp home edition 2002 version. Service pack 2) and yes it reads ''OEM Software''
    Thank you.

Alex M S

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Validation Code: 1

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-V3VXH-7YWKM-733KT
    Windows Product Key Hash: OeGtOvDcDpnEa6gWxVyPy/XCoqI=
    Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2112762-07450
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: {1D4387BD-D657-4D34-AFC4-24CF6070D67C}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-543-80070002_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{1D4387BD-D657-4D34-AFC4-24CF6070D67C}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-733KT</PKey><PID>76477-OEM-2112762-07450</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1085031214-515967899-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Acer            </Manufacturer><Model>TravelMate 4150                 </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Acer</Manufacturer><Version>V1.00</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050319000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>FBD43507018400F2</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>China Standard Time(GMT+08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 1F710:Acer Incorporated
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 2:56 PM
  • Hello Alex M S,

The mgadiag report is showing an installation of XP Home Edition on an Acer Travelmate 4150 computer.  As you mentioned, the installation of XP Home is not yet activated.

The product key you used to install XP Home, ending in V3VXH-7YWKM-733KT, is a widely pirated and published XP Home OEM Product Key, so it is blocked from being activated or validated by the MS activation and validation servers.

You have also mentioned that the computer has a Certificate of Authenticity for XP Home Edition on it, and the CoA has "OEM Software" printed on it below the product name (Windows XP Home Edition).

This situation is somewhat puzzling to me, because the CoA also has the Product Key printed on it, so there would be no need to search on the internet, or anywhere else for that matter, to find the Product Key.

Does the CoA have a Product Key printed on it?  Is the Product Key readable?  Did you attmept to install XP Home with this Product Key?  If so, was it rejected?  Did you receive any error messages and if so, what were they?  Please DO NOT post the Product Key!
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:40 PM
  • Dear Dan,

I do not see the CoA printed on the laptop otherwise I would surely have installed it. I have a small microsoft book that was given to me with details on how to install and use the xp. At the front page it reads '' This OEM software may not be delivered unless accompaned by the required hardware under the Microsoft OEM system Builder License... End-user support is the responsibility of the installer of this soft ware''. On reading that, I noticed its an OEM software. So, please, how do I recover my product key?? I have done the first step you told me and would be very appreciative for another. There should not be anything to puzzle you please. I do not have the product key and is the reason I got that pirated one so as to get online and seek assistance from microsoft team before the 30 days expire.

Having copied and pasted the information you requsted, please advise me on what to do next. All am looking forward to is a product key that will be activated thats if its impossible to get back my product key.

Will be glad to hear from you again.

Regards,

Alex M S.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 12:42 AM
  • Hello Alex M S,

OK, thank you for clearing that up.

As I understand the situation, your Acer TravelMate computer does not have a Certificate of Authenticity for Windows.

Also, I understand that you have what appears to be a Genuine Microsoft OEM installation CD for Windows XP Home Editoon, and you have the green user guide pamphlet.  The pamphlet and the CD did not come with a Certificate of Authenticty.

Unfortunately, without a Certificate of Authenticity and its accompanying product key, which should have been included in your purchase of the Windows XP Home licensing kit to make it a complete and effective kit, the materials you have are useless.  Please contact the person or company from whom you purchased the materials and make arrangements to get the missing part of the kit, which is the CoA with its product key.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:40 PM
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:12 AM