Has anyone evaluated NAS vs. WHS? RRS feed

All replies

• Total backups of all your connected computers on a daily basis with disaster recovery facilities.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, December 30, 2011 2:48 AM
  • Have you any experience with any of the aforementioned NAS solutions?

Thanks

z

Sunday, January 1, 2012 12:07 AM
  • I have a NAS (DLink DNS-321) which I use at a remote location as an FTP server and is also used locally as a music server but it has nowhere near the functionality of WHS2011. Even the expensive newer NAS products (e.g. Synology) don't do what I want with regard to backing up my client computers albeit they do lots of other things.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, January 1, 2012 12:53 AM
  • Thanks Phil.

Just briefly, In regard to the NAS (DNS-321) could you provide a couple of significant examples of lacking functionality compared to WHS2011?  

"Even the expensive newer NAS products (e.g. Synology) don't do what I want with regard to backing up my client computers..."  Really appreciate to hear about these differences? 

Thanks very much for your opinions.

Z

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 5:04 PM
  • They do not do incremental backups automatically on a daily basis of all my connected PCs (6 off). WHS provides this facility with bare metal restore capability. Not sure the NAS's have the power to transcode HD Video (BluRay) via DNLA.

All my data is stored on NTFS disks so is available on any Windows PC in the event of hardware failure.#

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 5:27 PM