Live Care Continous need of repair tool RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am new at this.

I have a xp sp2 desktop that runs slow with over 70% freee disk space. I have deleted Norton and was using another tool to clean viurs. That along with Error smart kept coming up with file association problems, clean for that run and the problem is back at the next reboot. I have deleted it a downloaded Live care on two of my machines. My Vista is new and is running find. However my XP is a trouble still. After following Stephen Boots information the one live went green. At the next boot it was red and the Spy/Virus would not start. So I rebooted and the problem was still there even though I had remove the internet connection. So I ran the tool again and it fixed to problem.

Problem: I now have to use the tool at every boot of the system.

My Solution: Current I have taken the system off the internet until I can figure out what is going or has been going for sometime. This is my system in the Island and my software disk are back in the States. I am going to keep it off line and just may do a total rebuild, eventhough that will be the last resort. Hopefully. I can use this machine that is networked with the other through a belkin wireless router. My linksys router just went wild and will no longer hold its configuration. By the way the XP was my hub machine and main controller of the network. I keep my Laptops off line most of the time. They are 2000 machines.

Any clues?

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 5:48 PM

Answers

• Hello, BeBeHi.

Sorry for the delayed reply, but the forums were pretty much borked yesterday, so I gave up. (Borked = technical term...LOL!)

Anyway, you sound like you're doing pretty well for "new at this."

I think that the first thing you might want to try on the XP machine that is giving you trouble is to run the Norton Removal tool. I wonder if part of it remains and is the cause of the problem - 

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

If you need to run the repair tool at every reboot, it seems like a service is not starting automatically as required by OneCare or there is corruption in the signature database, but the former is most likely - assuming it isn't just a conflict with leftover Norton components.

Have you tried simply starting OneCare manually after you get the error and warning? If your system is running terribly slow, it may be resource starved, causing the startup failure.

On the other hand, you mentioned SMART errors. Do you mean SMART as in disk monitoring or something else, since you say "file association" errors? If you're seeing slow system performance, random errors, and file not found type problems, it sounds more like the hard drive is failing. Have you done a check for errors by right clicking the drive in Windows Explorer and selecting Properties/Tools/Check for errors? it may reveal that the disk is failing...

And, of course, you can contact support for more help.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 3:36 PM