Hard drive problems RRS feed

• Question

• The error log in WHS (as seen through Adv Admin Add-In) shows sector problems with a drive. On my personal computer I'd run check disk. That seems not to be an option in WHS. How do I fix this?
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 9:30 PM

Answers

• The error log in WHS (as seen through Adv Admin Add-In) shows sector problems with a drive. On my personal computer I'd run check disk. That seems not to be an option in WHS. How do I fix this?
    Please see the FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors for details on how to handle that.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, September 27, 2009 9:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by ChrisCowles Monday, September 28, 2009 1:58 AM
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 9:57 PM

All replies

Please see the FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors for details on how to handle that.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, September 27, 2009 9:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by ChrisCowles Monday, September 28, 2009 1:58 AM
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 9:57 PM
  • That's the answer I was looking for but, related to this, I get backup error dialog boxes when I log in using RDP.

It's probably related that I recently upgraded one of the client workstations to Win7 evaluation version. It was a clean install but done after PP3 beta got yanked from the web so I can't install that to improve the links to Win7.

I deleted the previous backups for the client in question. The new backup for Win7 remains. I've disabled backup on that computer (it's just a Media Center, with no content) to rule that out as a problem. I have not yet deleted those Win 7 backups.

Do others have similar experiences with Win 7? Or is this more likely a simple hardware issue?

Chris
    Monday, September 28, 2009 2:02 AM
  • Sector problems on WHS have nothing to do with any workstation. As soon as the OS attempts to store something on a damaged sector, you will get in trouble.
    Now you should identify and replace the disk with the damaged sectors, since their number only tends to grow and announce a total disk fault and the disk will not be able to hide them before the volume is deleted, even if the bad sector count remains at the same number.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, September 28, 2009 1:39 PM
  • I suspect it has something to do with BDBB. I installed that with a plan to back it up to a network share. Unfortunately the only share connected by ethernet is a relatively small drive on my Win7 media center. Not having a another drive on the server to duplicate to, and the Win7 share being insufficient for the task, I uninstalled BDBB. I haven't had a problem since.

I'm not certain that's the problem but, barring further error messages, am not willing to spend more time investigating. My present WHS is my first draft of a server. Having the scheme working, I'll wait until I have a bit more money to replace it all with new hardware. If I have to reformat the whole thing now and start over, not much is lost.

Thanks for the input.

Chris
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 1:41 AM