Family Safety Auto Login - does not work on multiple pc's? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have 3 computers that have Live One Care and Family Safety installed on all three hard drives.  All running XP Sp2... all on the same switch and then to a dsl modem.

One care and the circle is good... it recognizes my main Live ID and also that of my children.  However, Family Safety will sit there for like 12-14 mintues at every boot and hang untill it resolves that the main ID is not who is logged on and that it is one of my children.  Then it will display the prompt for the main Live ID to log in (or the dropdown to change it). So then one of my children would have to change the dropdown and log in so they can view the approved web sites.

During this long log in time... nothing web related is available.

I have scoured the discussion communities and the help for Family Safety only has canned answers that do not address this problem.  Where can I go?  We really need this to work.

I need for the kids to be able to log into their own computer and have family safety and one care be automatic.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 4:24 AM

Answers

• It would seem to me that your problem is with the Family Safety program. I am not aware of how to get support for that product other than through Help (which you've already done) or via the email submission form at http://support.live.com

https://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productKey=wlfamilysafety&ct=eformts

I am running Family Safety on one PC with OneCare installed and have no problems with the login prompt appearing immediately after boot-up. Have you considered removing and reinstalling the Family Safety software? If you remove it from on PC for test purposes, does you Internet access work immediately on boot?

-steve

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 6:56 PM

All replies

• It would seem to me that your problem is with the Family Safety program. I am not aware of how to get support for that product other than through Help (which you've already done) or via the email submission form at http://support.live.com

https://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productKey=wlfamilysafety&ct=eformts

I am running Family Safety on one PC with OneCare installed and have no problems with the login prompt appearing immediately after boot-up. Have you considered removing and reinstalling the Family Safety software? If you remove it from on PC for test purposes, does you Internet access work immediately on boot?

-steve

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 6:56 PM
  •  

When I remove the software it works just fine.  I can not install the software without using my Parent Live ID.  I have even tried doing this using another windows account and then trying to have the child windows account use only their live id... but it will not let me set it up without first keying in my main live id.

Then everytime it boots up, it just sits there stalled because it is resolving that the autologin setting has my kids id and password in it, but my id comes up in the dropdown login prompt after 12-14 mintutes or so.

I filled in the form you gave me... though they want me to pick from select categories... it is like they only expect to have certain kinds of problems?

The Family Safety option is always listed under every Live One Care page, so I it looks like this is the support page for it... they just need their own topic here.

Thanks.

Thursday, December 6, 2007 2:50 PM
  • I do hope that the support people for OneCare Family Safety get back to you to help resolve the problem. The inclusion of a link for Family Safety is simply because they are related in that it is a Windows Live offering from Microsoft. The people responsible for that product are not the same as those who work on Windows Live OneCare, the subscription based protection suite. Family Safety may one day be incorporated into this subscription product (I often wonder why it hasn't yet), but at this point it is a totally separate product. The same is true for the free online scanner called the Windows Live OneCare Safety scan - a different team with a different support structure. They, at least, also have their own community forums from when it was a beta product.

Specific to your problem, though, I have noticed on the PC where I run the Family Safety program (for testing purposes only) that even if I have it set to auto-login, I still have to log in. It does not take 12 minutes, though. I wonder if there is something else hindering the program at startup.

I'm going to move this thread over to the General folder for now, though. I'll be interested in hearing how you make out with support.

-steve

Thursday, December 6, 2007 6:06 PM
  • Did anyone get an answer to this?

It have really been driving my family and I crazy.
    Friday, January 4, 2008 12:49 AM
  •  Mijaedad wrote:
    Did anyone get an answer to this?

It have really been driving my family and I crazy.

Since we never heard back and the thread is technically off topic, I'll refer you to support for WLFS - https://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productKey=wlfamilysafety&ct=eformts

-steve

Friday, January 4, 2008 6:53 PM
  •  

I got this really generic email from them about reinstalling the software again... they said maybe the files were corrupted... this means they did not read the post at all... I installed it on different pc's and had already reinstalled it...

I did not reply because as nice as you are Stephen... it doesn't seem like anyone at Microsoft cares about their own product in terms of actually owning it.

Sunday, January 6, 2008 6:21 AM
  • I'm sorry to read that your first response from tech support was not very helpful.

Do you have the case ID for your Family Safety support case? I'd like to see if I can find someone at Microsoft to help.

-steve

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 1:27 PM
  •  

Thanks for you response Stephen... I really do appreciate it.

RE: SRX1051787145ID - Windows Live OneCare Family Safety:I am unable to install Fa

Hopefully, this is the number you need.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 6:50 AM
  • That's the number. I've forwarded it on and hope that someone can provide some guidance.

-steve

Thursday, January 10, 2008 4:28 PM
  • You're not alone here - I have the same problems with auto login on one of my systems.

Friday, January 11, 2008 12:20 AM
  • I received a reply back that the problem is under investigation. Note that this is off topic for this forum *unless* we find out that the problem was caused by interaction with Windows Live OneCare.

-steve

Friday, January 11, 2008 5:43 PM
  • Hello,

I have an XPSP2 machine with OneCare and Family Safety installed as well.  I also use auto login by using "Configure automatic sign in" option and I'm not seeing the issue described.  I can try to help as much as I can.  Could you provide me the version # of Family Safety that you installed.  To do this, go to "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Family Safety" directory and right click on the fssui file.  The file version should be at the top of the Version tab.  Also, have you tried uninstalling OneCare (not Family Safety) and see if Family Safety works correctly by itself?

Note that after configuring automatic sign in for Family Safety, after each time the machine is rebooted, Family Safety will start automatically, but it does not sign the user in automatically until a connection to the internet is made via a browser.

-David

Friday, January 18, 2008 10:11 PM
  • Thanks, David.

-steve

Saturday, January 19, 2008 3:49 AM
  •  

did anyone get answer to this issue?

Sunday, January 20, 2008 6:10 PM
  • The last that I heard was that the Family Safety programmers were looking into this problem. Note that this forum is not for the Family Safety program, despite the fact that the program name start with Windows Live OneCare. My first reply to the thread has the link to the Family Safety forums.

I'll be locking this thread for now.

-steve

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:44 AM
  • Hopefully, some of you in this thread have subscribed to alerts or are still watching the thread.

I have been asked to request that those of you in this thread experiencing the described problem with Windows Live OneCare Family Safety login who wish to volunteer to test a possible fix for the problem, contact me. I will forward your message to the team and they will then contact you directly to arrange whatever needs to be done.

So, email me at sboots@mvps.org and put "OneCare Family Safety Login" in the subject line.

Paste this link - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2499638&SiteID=2 - in the message body and include your forum nickname, so we know who you are from this thread, and contact information.

Thanks!

-steve

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 1:13 AM
  • sent you an email steve.. i'm too is having the same problem... driving me up the wall..

happy to test it..
    Friday, March 7, 2008 1:15 AM
  •  

This forum sucks! WLFS supports sucks! This topic that the "automatic login does not work" has been going on for months now. no solution yet. All I see in the email from the support is that file is corrupted, reinstall the software, need access to the account, blah, blah blah.....

is this just because the software and the support is free?

Friday, March 7, 2008 3:08 AM
  •  stanar wrote:

This forum sucks! WLFS supports sucks! This topic that the "automatic login does not work" has been going on for months now. no solution yet. All I see in the email from the support is that file is corrupted, reinstall the software, need access to the account, blah, blah blah.....

Well, part of the issue is that this entire thread is off topic for this forum. And I would imagine that WLFS being a free product means support will be minimal, though I know that this problem is being addressed.

-steve
    Saturday, March 8, 2008 3:46 AM
  •  stanar wrote:

I know that lack of communication can be very frustrating, I almost gave up on thi sissue because there were large gaps in communication from the folks at Microsoft.  However, Stephen has always been helpful and not had any gaps, it is just not his area.  So you might try a different attitude stanar.

I am pleased to let folks know that I just ran the beta version they just came up with and it is working pretty nicely!!!

Thank You!

Saturday, March 8, 2008 2:32 PM
  • Help us understand. You freely choose to come to a free support area where people offer their time to try to help you deal with your issue. You then choose to insult these people.

What are you trying to achieve?

Saturday, March 8, 2008 7:29 PM
  •  

it wasnt my intention to insult anyone on this forum. i too help out  my friends and family members who are technology challanged. anyway i was just frustrated with the FS support since my family kept calling me with issues  just 'coz i installed the FS on three of my computers at home.  i had to finally uninstall FS on all except one and installed content watch  for parental control features and it works great with single sign on integrated with windows user accnts.
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008 5:13 AM
  •  stanar wrote:

it wasnt my intention to insult anyone on this forum. i too help out  my friends and family members who are technology challanged. anyway i was just frustrated with the FS support since my family kept calling me with issues  just 'coz i installed the FS on three of my computers at home. 

I don't know, stanar. You may need to work on your intentions and letting your frustration cloud those intentions.

The intent sure seemed clear in your original post:

stanar wrote:

This forum sucks! WLFS supports sucks! <snip> blah, blah blah.....

Others in the thread have a beta solution from the Family Safety team that will be released in a future update to the product and reports are that the beta fix solved the problem.

-steve

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 9:09 AM
  • I've had a similar issue.  I have One PC that family shares, it's a XP Media Center 2005.  Each Family member has thier own login, and I wanted ONECARE family Safety to Auto-Login for each user.  But the autologin dialog keeps popping up. I also have Family safety installed and set up on another computer with Auto-login that I mainly use just for quick access to the family safety site to manage my kid's requests.  I don't know if the beta version will fix it, but I'd thought I'd post this here.

Sunday, March 23, 2008 1:38 PM
  • If it does, the update will be offered to all users once testing is completed.

-steve

Monday, March 24, 2008 2:19 AM