What is common pipeline to work with Sync FW? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, everyone.

I try to understand, how should I build my app with Sync FW.

I have a database. It has a different scopes. Let's say - its five.

Ok, with SyncSvcUtil tool - I will create all config files, will provision DB, will create server and client entities.

But - what should I do if I have to change my DB structure??

First - I must deprovision DB?

Then change DB structure?

Then provision DB again?

And finally generate  server and client entities again?

Or there is less complex way?

Or, if I understand right - at first I have to design my DB structure most proper way? To make changes count leads to zero in future?

Thanks to everyone.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 2:22 AM

Answers

• Sync framework doesnt automatically handle schema changes and you cant make changes to a scope definition either.

so, yes, you have to deprovision and reprovision.

you dont have to deprovision the entire database via DeprovisionStore if you only need to update a single scope. just deprovision that particular scope (assuming that scope's tables is not shared by other scopes).

you can try to design your schema as best as you can, but like everything else in software development, things change. if you dont encounter a change, you're a very lucky man :)

• Marked as answer by Monochromatique Wednesday, June 22, 2011 3:36 AM
    • Edited by JuneT Wednesday, June 22, 2011 3:44 AM
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 2:51 AM

All replies

• Sync framework doesnt automatically handle schema changes and you cant make changes to a scope definition either.

so, yes, you have to deprovision and reprovision.

you dont have to deprovision the entire database via DeprovisionStore if you only need to update a single scope. just deprovision that particular scope (assuming that scope's tables is not shared by other scopes).

you can try to design your schema as best as you can, but like everything else in software development, things change. if you dont encounter a change, you're a very lucky man :)

• Marked as answer by Monochromatique Wednesday, June 22, 2011 3:36 AM
    • Edited by JuneT Wednesday, June 22, 2011 3:44 AM
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 2:51 AM
  • Thanks a lot. I thought that I missed something.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 3:36 AM
  • Oh, just forgot - is there a way to hide generated stuff (tables, procedures...)?
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 3:56 AM
  • what do you mean hide? hide in Sql Management Studio?
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 4:01 AM
  • Yes. If it possible - I do not know - how
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 4:04 AM
  • I just used filter option. 

Another question - can I use all my scopes in one web service? Or I just have to separate it and use it by "one scope -- one web service"?

Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:22 AM