none
Windows Home Server Transfer to another PC RRS feed

• Question

• I have a lesser PC (2.4 Ghz, 1.25Gb RAM, 2 HD's) and I am looking to move to a better PC with IDE and SATA support. Since migrating drives is not a viable option, could I install on the new box, not activate yet, them migrate all folders and profiles to the new box? Then activate it, and then nuke the current one?

Looking for the right way to migrate easily the WHS without altering the client setups. Basically looking to slip the replacement server "under the radar" with the least amount of interuption and licensing conflicts.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 5:52 AM

Answers

• Folders yes (i.e. using the backup functionality from the console to create a backup on an external drive and restore this backup on the target system) or by copying the content of the shared folders via network share from one server to the other.
    Profiles? Not sure what you mean with that, since user accounts have to be recreated anyway on a new server with their passwords and permissions, this should not play a role.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 3:26 PM

All replies

• Folders yes (i.e. using the backup functionality from the console to create a backup on an external drive and restore this backup on the target system) or by copying the content of the shared folders via network share from one server to the other.
    Profiles? Not sure what you mean with that, since user accounts have to be recreated anyway on a new server with their passwords and permissions, this should not play a role.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 3:26 PM
  • Technically the OEM license is tied to the hardware. That is, you would need a second key for WHS #2

More than likely, it will activate just fine though. If you have to activate over the phone, state that this is a motherboard replacement and that you will only be using the license on one machine.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 1:35 AM