none
How do I integrate Sync Framework with BlackBerry, iPhone, Android based Mobile Devices RRS feed

• Question

• I’ve a web application which is mostly used for Mobile. User browses the website from Mobile and does according to their requirement. Website developed in C#, ASP.NET (.NET 2.0) and SQL Server.  It’s time to upgrade the whole scenario. I want

1. Develop an Application for Mobile.
    My developer will develop Blackberry, Android, iPhone in their respective language which is not in Microsoft technologies. I don’t bother about the Client Application.

2. Develop an Application (Microsoft Technologies) in Server side which will
    a) Synchronize with Client Application (Mobile Devices)
    b) Uninterrupted communication between Server and Client.

My approach is
    1. Microsoft SYNC Framework for Synchronization.
    2. Windows Communication Foundation for Hosting the various services.

My Question is:
    1. How do I synchronize Non windows based Mobile (Blackberry, iPhone, Android)?
    2. I consider WCF; because Client can consume these Services; when Synchronization framework found any update happened in Server Side it automatically alert the Client for respective services which will hosted in Server.

I’m little bit confuse How Do I integrate with Sync framework with WCF.

Am I going in right direction? Please advice as you think which is suitable for the application; not necessary to use sync framewor or wcf.

Thanks in Advance for you valuable suggestion.

Best Regards,
    DG

Saturday, October 9, 2010 1:42 PM

All replies

• the current release (v2.1) doesnt support non-windows mobile based devices.

the upcoming release however (v3) will have more device support. check out this forum on how to get access to the preview release: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/synclab/threads

likewise, in Sync Fx, Synchronization has to be initiated and doesnt happen via alerts or similar to the way Blackberry does push.

Sunday, October 10, 2010 1:12 AM
  • Hello JuneT,

Thank you very much for your valuable inputs.

I understand that Sync Framework (V3) can synchronize over any mobile. Does we require to load an agent of Sync Framework in Client (Mobile Devices)?

Another question is am I going in right direction for the whole application?

i.e. Sync framework with WCF for Serverside application..........

Best Regards, DG
    Sunday, October 10, 2010 5:01 PM
  • Hello DG, with the product we are building (there is a preview invitation-ony CTP available for now), Sync Framework will not run on the client - it will only run on the service endpoint/hub, and the service will execute all the sync algorithms on behalf of the client. The client will just have to store a blob that the server gets from the client and hands back to the client to store after a sync session. Also, the client will have to store a "dirty bit" with each item, indicating whether that item has been modified since it was last downloaded from the server.

Your application scenario does look like it is going in the right direction and is the scenario we are trying to tackle.

thanks

Monday, October 11, 2010 8:08 PM
  • Hello Sid Singh,

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

I'm trying to configuring  the whole system.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

DG

Best Regards, DG
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 4:53 PM