Virus and Spyware Scan will not stop RRS feed

• Question

• Loaded the new verision of One Care - (2.0) and when I start a quick scan - it is like the engerize bunny keeps going - never to stop. So don't have much faith in up-to-date status. Current quick scan has went for 37 minutes and running. One ran all night. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 2:38 AM

Answers

• There have been a number of threads started regarding excessively long and slow scans in 2.0 including this one - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2560951&SiteID=2

I haven't merged the threads, nor do I intend to at this time, as no common solution has been found. I do know that this is being investigated by the OneCare and antimalware teams and I am hopeful that an engine update in the near future will resolve the problem.

If you have any other real-time protection - antivirus, antispwyare, and the like - be sure to disable or remove it to prevent a conflict with OneCare, which could cause very long scan times.

-steve

Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:26 PM

All replies

• I installed One Care several months ago and when I ran the inital virus scan didn't experience any issues with long scan times.  I have since observed excessively long scan times - started one last night at 2:00am and now nearly 10 hours later it is still running...

Thursday, December 20, 2007 4:44 PM
  • There have been a number of threads started regarding excessively long and slow scans in 2.0 including this one - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2560951&SiteID=2

I haven't merged the threads, nor do I intend to at this time, as no common solution has been found. I do know that this is being investigated by the OneCare and antimalware teams and I am hopeful that an engine update in the near future will resolve the problem.

If you have any other real-time protection - antivirus, antispwyare, and the like - be sure to disable or remove it to prevent a conflict with OneCare, which could cause very long scan times.

-steve

Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:26 PM
  • I found that if I start a SCAN and then open TASK MANAGER that the CPU usage was at 100%.  If I then went to processes and shutdown the SVCHOST.EXE that had a high CPU usage (50 or so) that the SCAN speed increased significantly and my quickscan finished in under 10mins.  I also tried doing a clean boot by disabling all the drivers not assocated with either OneCare or Microsoft - that didn't make any difference form me.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 9:24 PM
  • Thanks for sharing your experience. This problem continues to be actively investigated.

-steve

Saturday, December 22, 2007 2:35 AM
  • I loaded the new version of the homecare protection and I'm not pleased either. i just posted a thread concerning a "trojanspy "bug I'm trying to get rid of. Give me an idea what your after and i might be able to give a suggestion. My concerns are under the thread "Trojanspy Bug"

onevatoloco2003@yahoo.com

Saturday, December 22, 2007 11:17 AM
  • off course I'm not recommending anyone end a process that they don't know about, but this is the only way I could get OneCare to finish.  I have been using Norton AV for many years and always had confidence that the software was watching over my system, but with OneCare I have little to no confidence as it seems to have difficulties with the most basic tasks.  If an update isn't issued soon that resolves these deficiencies I for one will be moving back to Norton.

Saturday, December 22, 2007 6:11 PM
  • I too have experienced the non-terminating virus scan problem, but interestingly only on a toshiba M30 laptop. My other machines (different toshiba laptops, and a dell vostro 400) don't suffer in the same way.

Issuing software which in effect contains a denial of service attack is not something I would expect from microsoft. It has shaken my faith in onecare - just after I renewed my subscription too. The unasked for arrival of the oncecare Pc circle feature is another irritation as I try to work out how to switch various 'helpful' features off. I too am thinking of looking elsewhere for 'onecare'.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 1:42 PM
  •  Ronan Sleep wrote:

I too have experienced the non-terminating virus scan problem, but interestingly only on a toshiba M30 laptop. My other machines (different toshiba laptops, and a dell vostro 400) don't suffer in the same way.

Issuing software which in effect contains a denial of service attack is not something I would expect from microsoft. It has shaken my faith in onecare - just after I renewed my subscription too. The unasked for arrival of the oncecare Pc circle feature is another irritation as I try to work out how to switch various 'helpful' features off. I too am thinking of looking elsewhere for 'onecare'.

See this post if you are experiencing high CPU during a scan - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2707364&SiteID=2

And, could I ask what Circle features you find annoying? (I find some annoying, too, by the way...)

-steve

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 4:49 PM