Corruption ???? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Pre-install research:

I am trying to read as much as I can on this new WHS.   There seem to be alot of data corruption-related posts on this board.  I plan on using WHS for some very important files (home videos, financials, etc.) so I don't want anything to happen to them.

Is the corruption related to bugs or are people not using WHS the way it was designed? Such as not using the console as they should?   Just want some opinions.  thanks.

Friday, February 15, 2008 8:11 PM

Answers

• Shawn

the main corruption bug is around storing and directly editing a whole list of file types on your WHS. If you copy them locally and then copy them back you should be fine, or if you keep them locally on your computer and have WHS back them up you should be fine.

Some people do have problems with using it outside the way it supposed to work (for example not using the shares correctly) but its a very small mintority and they usually realise their mistake and fix it.

My advice if you are unsure is to just use WHS to backup your computers until the corruption fix is released.

Andrew

Friday, February 15, 2008 8:45 PM

All replies

• Shawn

the main corruption bug is around storing and directly editing a whole list of file types on your WHS. If you copy them locally and then copy them back you should be fine, or if you keep them locally on your computer and have WHS back them up you should be fine.

Some people do have problems with using it outside the way it supposed to work (for example not using the shares correctly) but its a very small mintority and they usually realise their mistake and fix it.

My advice if you are unsure is to just use WHS to backup your computers until the corruption fix is released.

Andrew

Friday, February 15, 2008 8:45 PM
  • thanks for replying.

When is the next sp or fixes scheduled to be released?

Friday, February 15, 2008 9:15 PM
  •  

I decided to go forward with my WHS install and use it to backup my PCs in general until the corruption issue is fixed.
    Friday, February 15, 2008 9:27 PM
  • the corruption fix is being worked on but doesnt have a release date yet (do a search on the forums for more information, you cant miss the threads!)

the is a Power Pack 1 release coming out around the middle of the year which includes some fixes and enhancements including 64 bit support.

Andrew

Friday, February 15, 2008 9:29 PM