Managing: Vista, Window's One Care and Windows Defender RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded One Care on my new hp desktop. Everything seems to be running goog "but..."  I didn't know about the Windows Defender being integraded into Vista. And because it dosen't show up on the programs install/uninstall screen. So I installed One Care not knowing about Defender..One Care politely turned off Defender n the instalation prosses.  My question is "is this situation OK"???   Microsoft's own instructions say to uninstall Defender but I'm thinking they must be talking about an independent installation of Defender not the Vista-Defender combo. What should I do if I wanted to use something other than microsoft's One Care ? 

Thursday, May 29, 2008 6:48 PM

Answers

• Yes, this is normal and expected. OneCare really needs to include more information within the interface to warn you about this, in my opinion.

Defender protection is included and expanded upon in OneCare. If you later choose to remove OneCare, Defender will once again become active.

Yes, removing Defender can only be done when we're talking Windows XP - not Vista.

-steve

Thursday, May 29, 2008 7:22 PM