0xC004F050 RRS feed

• Question

• Installed Windows Vista Ultimate on my machine yesterday 21/02 and activated with NO PROBLEM, vista downloaded and installed some updates earlier today 22/02 and wanted to restart so restarted my machine and logged back in but upon logging back in I was presented with the activation console again, tried to activate online and got the error code 0xC004F050 saying that my code was invalid.

Vista is not providing an installation ID so cant reactivate over the phone using the automated system, spoke to someone on the phone and found them to be very unhelpful hence the reason why I am posting this thread.

Friday, February 23, 2007 9:45 PM

Answers

• Hi everybody

Guess whats now working and activated!! after a lengthy call to the microsoft support line (who phoned me back after 20 mins of me talking to them) it took a further 2 hours to disgnose the issue correctly and they determined that the code I had (which was supposedly genuine and unused) was already in use, they have kindly provided me with a new product key and as you can tell I now have an active and happy copy of Vista Ultimate.

I would like to add that the help I recieved from Microsoft was provided free of charge and they were extremly helpful and always kept me up to date with what was going on. So if you are having trouble with Vista I would urge you to contact the number on their website or if you cant find the number the number for the UK is 0870 601 0100 which is customer support.

As for hearing anything back from the company where I bought the media from I still have heard nothing and I haven't even got an acknowledgement that somone will be looking at this issue, I swear I will never go to them again for anything again.

It does take time to sort out over the phone but be patient with the people @ Microsoft and you will be a happy camper like I am now.

Friday, March 9, 2007 7:43 PM

All replies

• Oh dear!  I hope I can be more helpful.  The 0xC004F050 error typically occurs when you try to install a product key that is intended for an edition of Vista other than the one installed.  For example, if you installed Home Premium and your key is for Ultimate you'll get that message.  Could you double check that they match? 

Also, can you tell me what message you're getting at startup? What happens when you try to phone activate?  Does the same thing happen if you try going through the process of entering "slui 4" in a command prompt? 

Thank you!

Saturday, February 24, 2007 1:21 AM
  • Have double checked the certificate and the certificate is for Vista Ultimate and I have installed Vista Ultimate.

When I start the machine up I am presented with the login screen I put my password in and then it ttakes a while and then says that the activation period has expired and Windows is no longer working (although vista activated fine online only a couple of days ago). It then gives me the chioce of using the machine with restricted access, activating the software online (which is where the error code comes from), re-entering my product key or activiating by phone. If I try to use the phone activation it gives my the phone number to ring but where the installation ID should be it just has the numbers 1 to 9 and notihng else.

Have tried activiating as you suggested by running the slui 4 through the command propmt (when its in this state getting a command prompt window is hard to find) and I got the following error code: 0xC004E003 and Windows saying it was unable to activate.

Just to let you know this only seemed to happen after Vista installed some updates and wanted to be restarted, before these updates were installed Vista was working perfectly and I had just finsihed setting the machine up to how I wanted it.

Hope this is enough information and hope to hear from you soon.

Saturday, February 24, 2007 1:29 PM
  • Ran the WGA and here are the details from it

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid License
    Detailed Status: 0xc004f012
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-3Q243-RGMC7-8X8XH
    Windows Product Key Hash: ECAS8KvZQ2T3iMwt+MkDlBlO+cY=
    Windows Product ID: 89580-OEM-7300533-44306
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6000.2.00010100.0.0.000
    ID: 3cdf1590-1925-48e6-ba52-b7640f89cb3c
    Is Admin: No
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070006
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>3cdf1590-1925-48e6-ba52-b7640f89cb3c</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>6.0.6000.2.00010100.0.0.000</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-8X8XH</PKey><PID>89580-OEM-7300533-44306</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3311958264-2275015834-4125222257</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>TriGem Computer NETHERLANDS</Manufacturer><Model>Advent Series</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20050202000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>96313507018400FC</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Hope this info helps you help me.

Sunday, February 25, 2007 4:58 PM
  • Can you tell me if you've installed any new hardware or updated drivers?  Do you remember which updates you installed?  I'll need to do some more research.  In the meantime, you don't happen to have a system restore point you could revert to by any chance?

Thank you!

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 3:27 AM
  • I installed drivers for my keyboard and mouse which are microsoft products, the keyboard has the fingerprint scanner and the mouse is a wireless intellimouse 2.0, tried to do the restore point but just got the same results.

I have now reinstalled vista ultimate, didnt provide it with the product key and it did let me in but once it asked for the product key it tried to activate but then said it encountered an error, restarted my machine and now I get the error message that the is inconsistent information in the licence database store.

I have gone back to the company where I purchased vista but I am still waiting for them to get back to me the companies wesbite it www.tekheads.co.uk if its of any interest to you.

Friday, March 2, 2007 12:55 PM
  • I did the same thing installed wireless keyboard and mouse from Microsoft
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 4:39 AM
  • Oh no!

I installed the Netgear wireless and the cordless logitech mouse+keyboard.

Could it be that I can't activate my pc, beacause I want to activate windows with the wireless?

I can't believe... I must pay 70$ to phone at microsoft or spend hours and hours only because microsoft is not capable to write ONE working program?

I was thinking, Vista should be better than XP. But in 4 days my computer crashed 3 time like in win95!

Hope you can help me before my 27 days are over :/

Diagnostic:
    Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: 0x1
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-GH93K-4F48J-CFBBC
    Windows Product Key Hash: EC0EZF9NPYyOP4zbRBxh6+kW18o=
    Windows Product ID: 89576-OEM-7304601-00017
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6000.2.00010100.0.0.006
    ID: 98235b77-0f67-476f-912e-261c86a32b2c
    Is Admin: No
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.723.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Business
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Thursday, March 8, 2007 9:35 PM
  • Now I can't login in windows anymore!

After I click on my user-icon, the "windows activation dialog" appear and say that my code is not valid...

so I can only surf in internet and shut down my computer now... not bad! Ah, windows say that my 200$ windows OEM business version is not authentic?!?

I am disperated...

Thursday, March 8, 2007 10:10 PM
  • Hi David,

Have you heard back from the company that sold you your Vista media?  I'd like to know what they said.  Thanks!

Friday, March 9, 2007 12:31 AM
  • Hi Brian,

If you've activated before this started happening you can reactivate by phone and that should solve your issue.  You can type "slui 4" in a Command Prompt to get started. 

Friday, March 9, 2007 12:32 AM
  • Hi everybody

Guess whats now working and activated!! after a lengthy call to the microsoft support line (who phoned me back after 20 mins of me talking to them) it took a further 2 hours to disgnose the issue correctly and they determined that the code I had (which was supposedly genuine and unused) was already in use, they have kindly provided me with a new product key and as you can tell I now have an active and happy copy of Vista Ultimate.

I would like to add that the help I recieved from Microsoft was provided free of charge and they were extremly helpful and always kept me up to date with what was going on. So if you are having trouble with Vista I would urge you to contact the number on their website or if you cant find the number the number for the UK is 0870 601 0100 which is customer support.

As for hearing anything back from the company where I bought the media from I still have heard nothing and I haven't even got an acknowledgement that somone will be looking at this issue, I swear I will never go to them again for anything again.

It does take time to sort out over the phone but be patient with the people @ Microsoft and you will be a happy camper like I am now.

Friday, March 9, 2007 7:43 PM
  • That's great to hear!!!  Please do let us know if you have any problems in the future!
    Friday, March 9, 2007 7:58 PM