Service-oriented Architectures with WCF RRS feed

• Question

• I am a final year University student who has been given a research project based on Service-Oriented Architectures (SOA). Basically my supervisors wanted me to find out as much as I can on the subject, and if possible produce something(s) using the latest/best tech based on my research.

After playing around with PHP for a while I came across Windows Communication Foundation (WCF), and after much discussion with my supervisor we decided to focus on WCF as I could get all the required Microsoft products such as Visual Studios 2008 legally through the University and MSDNAA. I have since produced a few simple client/service programs based on tutorials such as the one on MSDN.

The problem is that my supervisor has become obsessed in me researching and producing something using what he calls a "broker". His description of a broker is that it sits between a client and a service (in a SOA) and contains information on the services and if a client requires something it can go to the broker and say "I need this" or "where is this information?" and then the broker can provide/link the client to the right resource. My research took me to an Enterprise Service Bus, and what I believe is Microsoft's implementation Biztalk server, but I'm not really sure what these are, and if they work as brokers like my supervisor described.

Any information that anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Monday, March 8, 2010 2:02 PM

Answers