none
Spurious drive entries in the WHS Configure Backup screen RRS feed

• Question

• I've been rebuilding my PC resulting from disk failure.

Whilst getting my new rig set up, I've been toying with a couple of RAID cards and 4 disks (2 on each).  Once I got my main OS RAID up and running, and with just a couple of partitions on my second array (D: E: and both completely empty and with names like WINXPOLD .......), I just ran "Back up now" from the connector software on the client PC.  All ran well: it backed up my main RAID 4 partitions (160GB in total). 

In the WHS console these two drives are visible but not selected and "not connected" now that I have delted them for another strategy.  Now that I am reconfiguring my second RAID to be the main OS system, these drive letters and names are redundant, and could conflict with the drives which will be created  on the other RAID array.

Question:  How can I remove the invalid entries in the list of drives which are currently presented in the WHS console, without losing the backed up data in the functioning drives (correctly connected and selected for backup)?

Would deleting the computer from the WHS console (backup computers) and reinstalling the connector software on the PC both rebuild the list of drives and yet retain the current backed up data (160GB over 4 partitions)?

Thanks.
    • Edited by Dr T Sunday, November 16, 2008 9:51 PM
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 9:50 PM

Answers

• You will not easily be able to remove the "spurious" entries. They are there because you have previously successfully backed up those partitions. In order to get rid of them you would, at a minimum, have to remove any backup set that contained them and then run backup cleanup. And even that might not be sufficient becuase of how WHS keeps track of those drives.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Dr T Sunday, November 16, 2008 10:43 PM
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 10:38 PM
  • Dr T said:

I've been rebuilding my PC resulting from disk failure.

Whilst getting my new rig set up, I've been toying with a couple of RAID cards and 4 disks (2 on each).  Once I got my main OS RAID up and running, and with just a couple of partitions on my second array (D: E: and both completely empty and with names like WINXPOLD .......), I just ran "Back up now" from the connector software on the client PC.  All ran well: it backed up my main RAID 4 partitions (160GB in total). 

In the WHS console these two drives are visible but not selected and "not connected" now that I have delted them for another strategy.  Now that I am reconfiguring my second RAID to be the main OS system, these drive letters and names are redundant, and could conflict with the drives which will be created  on the other RAID array.

Question:  How can I remove the invalid entries in the list of drives which are currently presented in the WHS console, without losing the backed up data in the functioning drives (correctly connected and selected for backup)?

You cannot remove invalid drives from the backup routine.  All you can do is choose to not back them up any more (or completely remove the computer from the Computers and Backups tab, then start over from scratch).  It sounds to me like you kept the computer name the same as before.  Unfortunately, WHS doesn't care about computer names.  WHS gives each client PC a unique ID to track each computer.  If you create another machine with the exact same name as the first and join it to the server, WHS will still see it as a different machine (and isolate the drives between the two computers, creating what appear to be "extra drives").

Dr T said:

Would deleting the computer from the WHS console (backup computers) and reinstalling the connector software on the PC both rebuild the list of drives and yet retain the current backed up data (160GB over 4 partitions)?

Thanks.

Sunday, November 16, 2008 10:41 PM

All replies

• You will not easily be able to remove the "spurious" entries. They are there because you have previously successfully backed up those partitions. In order to get rid of them you would, at a minimum, have to remove any backup set that contained them and then run backup cleanup. And even that might not be sufficient becuase of how WHS keeps track of those drives.
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 10:38 PM
  • Dr T said:

I've been rebuilding my PC resulting from disk failure.

You cannot remove invalid drives from the backup routine.  All you can do is choose to not back them up any more (or completely remove the computer from the Computers and Backups tab, then start over from scratch).  It sounds to me like you kept the computer name the same as before.  Unfortunately, WHS doesn't care about computer names.  WHS gives each client PC a unique ID to track each computer.  If you create another machine with the exact same name as the first and join it to the server, WHS will still see it as a different machine (and isolate the drives between the two computers, creating what appear to be "extra drives").

Dr T said:

Thanks.

Sunday, November 16, 2008 10:41 PM
  •  Ok thanks. 
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 10:43 PM
  • Note that deleting the computer and running backup cleanup is the equivalent of removing all the backups for the computer. That should eliminate the "spurious" drives. However, I would recommend simply marking them as not backed up and ignoring them.
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 10:55 PM