Apply Full License to Trial Install RRS feed

• Question

• So I have installed WHS using the ISO provided at this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0960c088-c539-4265-9c5c-84fb6b2dadca&displaylang=en

I have not yet activated the OS. I am wondering if there is any difference between the media purchased at a retailer and the ISO I downloaded as I no longer wish to use the trial. Rather, I want to purchase the software.

Since I have not activated WHS, can I simply purchase a full license and activate my currently installed instance with it? (I would like to avoid going through the installation process again)

Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 11:39 PM

Answers

• This FAQ describes the only method of upgrading to a full licensed version from the 120 day evaluation version: server reinstallation.
    Is there any risk involved with this type of install that wouldn't be present when undertaking a clean install? I've read that it's never advisable to do anything but a clean install of Windows...
    • Marked as answer by leje0306 Saturday, May 9, 2009 7:59 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 11:52 PM
  • Is there any risk involved with this type of install that wouldn't be present when undertaking a clean install? I've read that it's never advisable to do anything but a clean install of Windows...

You are, in essence, still doing a clean install of Windows with Server Reinstallation.  The difference between Server Reinstallation and New Installation is whether the data volumes get wiped or not (in both cases, the OS partition is formatted).
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, May 6, 2009 1:06 AM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 1:06 AM

All replies

• This FAQ describes the only method of upgrading to a full licensed version from the 120 day evaluation version: server reinstallation.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 11:45 PM
    Is there any risk involved with this type of install that wouldn't be present when undertaking a clean install? I've read that it's never advisable to do anything but a clean install of Windows...
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 11:52 PM
  • Is there any risk involved with this type of install that wouldn't be present when undertaking a clean install? I've read that it's never advisable to do anything but a clean install of Windows...

You are, in essence, still doing a clean install of Windows with Server Reinstallation.  The difference between Server Reinstallation and New Installation is whether the data volumes get wiped or not (in both cases, the OS partition is formatted).
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, May 6, 2009 1:06 AM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 1:06 AM