none
Remote Web Access Not Fully Working RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having trouble setting up remote access on my WHS. So far, I have setup a static IP for my WHS (I did this through the WHS machine, not the router), and on my router I have forwarded ports 4125, 80, and 443 to the server's IP address. I've turned on "remote access" in the WHS console, but it gets an error in the "Verifying that your remote web site is available from the internet." I've also setup a domain with Windows Live.

Remote access is partially working. From a computer on the network, I can goto https://mydomain.homeserver.com, and access my WHS. However, this doesn't work from a computer outside of my network (I've been testing with the computer at my office). I can, however, still connect to my WHS from my office if I type in the IP address instead of the domain name. Perhaps the domain just hasn't propogated yet? But it doesn't seem that this would explain why I get an error "Verifying that your remote web site is available from the internet" since I was getting this error before I even setup the domain.

Any ideas?

My understanding is that by using the domain name (once it is working), even if my ISP assigns me a new IP address, it will still work. Is this right?

Thanks for the help!

Monday, January 4, 2010 7:01 PM

Answers

• Does your router support dyndns? If so, register a dyndns domain name and try with that.
    Did you try different places from outside?
    If not, it may be also a network rule in the office from which you are trying to connect, blocking access to machines in the homeserver.com domain.
    The not being able to verify from within your home network can be caused by insufficient loopback support of your router.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by PullnPray Tuesday, January 5, 2010 11:30 PM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 9:00 AM

All replies

• Who is your Internet Service Provider (ISP)?  They may block those ports on their end, it just means you may have to change the ports to something that they do not block.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 7:04 PM
  • My ISP is Cox. When I tested the ports at ShieldsUp, I got the following results:

80: Stealth
    443: Open
    4125: Closed
    Monday, January 4, 2010 7:17 PM
  • Does your router support dyndns? If so, register a dyndns domain name and try with that.
    Did you try different places from outside?
    If not, it may be also a network rule in the office from which you are trying to connect, blocking access to machines in the homeserver.com domain.
    The not being able to verify from within your home network can be caused by insufficient loopback support of your router.
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by PullnPray Tuesday, January 5, 2010 11:30 PM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 9:00 AM
  • Olaf,

Good tip. I WAS able to connect from a different outside computer.

What is loopback support? Is insufficient loopback support a problem, or does it just mean that my server will say there is a problem with remote access when there really isn't?

Thanks for your help!

Mike
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 3:47 PM
  • Insufficient loopback support means only, that you cannot access your server from within your home network via its Internet address. Since this scenario is never needed besides for testing and can easy circumvented by using the local name of the server instead of the homeserver.com domain name, this doesn't really matter much.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 8:36 PM