OEM version of Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit RRS feed

• Question

• If I buy an OEM version of Vista (I just built my own computer) and intall it and then upgrade my motherboard to a new one in a few months when the prices of the newer boards come down will I encounter any problems intalling and validating my vista oem verion again. It seems to me that this is a perfectly valid use of the since the intent is not to prevent someone like me from upgrading their hardware when they wish. Is this correct or will I encounter problems?
    Tuesday, November 27, 2007 8:39 PM

Answers

• An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a "new personal computer" to which Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced, for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating system software is required.

If you anticipate a future motherboard upgrade, then purchasing a "retail version" of Windows Vista would be your best choice.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 9:04 PM

All replies

• An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a "new personal computer" to which Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced, for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating system software is required.

If you anticipate a future motherboard upgrade, then purchasing a "retail version" of Windows Vista would be your best choice.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 9:04 PM
  • based on information I found on the microsoft site it seems that computer motherboards can be replaced and oem vista reactivated.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/activationfaq.mspx
    Tuesday, November 27, 2007 11:48 PM