Yep - Another Valid XP Installation Suddenly Locked RRS feed

• Question

• First, the requisite info:
    XP Pro SP2, OEM version, this is the manufacturer's original installation (not mine), OS has not been loaded on a different system.  Vendor is Sager, who retails products manufactured by Midern.

Background:
    System is snakebit, apparently.  It's been back twice now for a new motherboard.  Both times the BIOS was upgraded.  The first time it came back, no problems.  The second time it came back, they had also replaced the NIC and the system now goes to the "Activate Windows" screen as soon as I log in.  FYI, I pulled the system drive before sending it in for service (to protect personal financial information).  Vendor reports that their XP installation image worked just fine when they tested the new hardware.

So, a call to MS.  MS reports that the Installation ID is reporting that my product key is invalid, which isn't true.  I'm a systems admin, and I know how to extract the encrypted ID from the Registry (in Safe Mode).  I pulled it, and it matches the ID on the MS sticker on the case (yes, it does say OEM).  Also, going through the activation process and clicking on the "Change Product Key" button displays the correct PID (matching what's on the sticker and what's in the Registry).  Furthermore, a call to the vendor (who keeps very good records) reveals that the key they have on record for this system matches all of the above.  My copy is genuine.  It worked perfectly before I pulled the system drive and the vendor repaired the unit.

Still, MS wants $59 to give me a new key.  MS also tells me that since this is an OEM version, the manufacturer has the responsibility of supporting it (which I understand and accept - it's been that way forever), but that the manufacturer also can generate a new key.  What?  A call to the vendor with this information was met with astonishment: "We don't have a way to generate MS keys - we buy them from MS, install them with the systems and slap the matching sticker on the bottom of the case."  Still, MS tells me that the vendor should have their key generator.  OK - maybe the tech doesn't realize this - he's checking with supervisors and managers.

So - BIOS lock, I'm thinking.  Maybe the value is incorrect or corrupted (or blank).  I ran the MGADiag tool, and the BIOS passes the test.  I'm stumped at this point, and I've done this plenty of times.

Here's the output, and thanks in advance for anything you may see that could point the manufacturer in the right direction.  (I know the WGA version is out-of-date, as system was at the vendor for a couple of months.  Intermittent problems are a bear.)

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Validation Code: 1

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-Q8672-H7BWF-W6PWQ
    Windows Product Key Hash: nq0g2VJr8R8M0ocUWfyHKLCvs3M=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2211906-02829
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: {30434C35-B5A3-4468-98EA-E0BEB7226A17}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.69.2
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3
    Resolution Status: Not Activated

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3_E2AD56EA-765-b063_E2AD56EA-766-0_E2AD56EA-134-80004005_E2AD56EA-765-8009_E2AD56EA-766-2ee7_E2AD56EA-148-80004005_16E0B333-89-80004005_B4D0AA8B-1029-80004005

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{30434C35-B5A3-4468-98EA-E0BEB7226A17}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-W6PWQ</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2211906-02829</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1844237615-484763869-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>CLEVO</Manufacturer><Model>M660NC</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies LTD</Manufacturer><Version>NAPA0001.86C.00               </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20080509000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>35033007018400FE</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>MIDERN</name><model>Notebook Computer</model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.5.540.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.5.540.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>D047B0BDDF4500</Val><Hash>Kd2HUzHtBK4IzPEKHyW+yX2sr/E=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-1030872-57439</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="44" Version="11" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: FD83:HITACHI, Ltd|FD83:HITACHI, Ltd|FD83:HITACHI, Ltd|FDC7:Semp Toshiba Informatica Ltda|FDC7:TOSHIBA CORPORATION
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Thursday, October 15, 2009 4:18 PM

Answers

• Hello katiedawg,

I think your old installation of XP (saved on your HDD to protect financial info) thinks it's being moved to a new computer and does not want to play ball.

But a fresh install of the vendor's deployment image according to them works just fine, which I have to assume means that it activates and validates normally.

So that's what I think you need to do, put down a fresh install using the vendor's recovery/reinstallation discs.

If you're going to do it on the existing HDD, you'd want to back up data and settings, naturally.

If you're going to do it on a new HDD, no such need.

Another option is to run a repair using a systembuilder/OEM XP CD at the SP2 or 3 level and using the PK on the CoA, then do a telelphonic activation.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, October 15, 2009 9:38 PM
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:36 PM

All replies

• Hello katiedawg,

I think your old installation of XP (saved on your HDD to protect financial info) thinks it's being moved to a new computer and does not want to play ball.

But a fresh install of the vendor's deployment image according to them works just fine, which I have to assume means that it activates and validates normally.

So that's what I think you need to do, put down a fresh install using the vendor's recovery/reinstallation discs.

If you're going to do it on the existing HDD, you'd want to back up data and settings, naturally.

If you're going to do it on a new HDD, no such need.

Another option is to run a repair using a systembuilder/OEM XP CD at the SP2 or 3 level and using the PK on the CoA, then do a telelphonic activation.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, October 15, 2009 9:38 PM
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:36 PM
  • Thanks, Dan - I wondered about the drive being the issue, but I passed it off.  I'd upgraded the drive from 160 GB to 320 GB almost a year ago and had no problems, so I skipped that as a possibility.  I still have the OEM drive, so I'll go back to the "As Received" image that I made when I bought the unit and lay that back down on the original drive and see what happens.

I'm a big fan of using images for my backups - very handy in a situation such as this.  I used an image to swing things over to the larger drive when I bought it, and all I had to do was let XP detect the new drive and reboot.  It was fine with the new drive - even the swap file came back without corruption.

I'll bet that all the hardware/firmware changes coupled with the s/n on the 320 drive is just too much for XP to allow.

I'll report back after I try that, and thanks again!

ps - excited about Win 7.  Will be loading up the RC version in a VM to give it a spin this weekend.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 9:10 PM
  • As a precaution, let me pose a couple of scenarios:

It's only 59 bucks to get a new key and activate.  It would take me a good week of work to reinstall everything (and re-authorize all that software - think Adobe and others who require software validation on a new installation), and my time is worth close to that much per hour.  Sort of makes it easy to decide to just fork it over based purely on economics, my personal principles aside.

But - I'd planned to eventually start with a ground-zero rebuild from the "As Installed" image that I made when I bought the system new.  The only program that was installed at that point was the imaging program, obviously.  Nice and clean.

Then, I could also use the installation CDs.  They're not going to lay an image back down - it's an actual MS installation on one CD, all the OEM drivers on another, then all the bundled software (software that I'd uninstalled anyway).

So, what happens on down the road if I decide to start over?  Can I use my new key?  I'm assuming that MS will flag my old key as invalid, but it's locked to the "As Received" image that I made.  If I buy the new key, I'm assuming that the "As Received" image will not authenticate.  Would I be able to then call the Activation Center, explain things, then receive an unlock code to release it from bondage (hahahaha)?  What about a ground-zero rebuild using the factory CDs?  Use the old key, or use the new key?  Remember - it's OEM and BIOS-locked.

Thanks...
    Friday, October 16, 2009 1:46 PM
  • Forgot to add some vital information:

I have an old authentication "vote-checker" program that looks at what's voting and how.  On my non-modified OEM notebooks, everything shows as voting yes.  On my desktop systems (and they're genuine), everything shows as voting yes.  On the single system that I replaced the HDD (for more capacity) and restored an image, all the yes votes were there, except for the HDD (makes sense).

On the system I'm fighting, there are zero yes votes!  Is that to be expected?  Or, does that help point to anything special that I need to know about?

OK, I'll leave you guys alone and wait.  I know you're busy, and I appreciate the assistance.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 2:02 PM
  • The mgadiag report is showing that this is an OEM SLP installation, which means that it is supposed to work like all those Dells, HPs, Acers, Sonys, and what-have-yous out there, in that the installed Product Key is the Product Key Microsoft issued to the manufacturer to do SLP deployments of one of the manufacturer's master images.  These product keys are supposed to self-activate and these product keys have been removed from the online activation list.  If these won't self-activate, as in the case of a changed motherboard, then they might be be telephonically activated using the PK on the CoA as a fallback position.

What's strange is that you said that the installed PK is the PK on the CoA, and I am puzzled by that because with SLP deployments, the PK on the CoA is supposed to be different from the deployment PK.  Another strange thing about this is that you said the discs that came with the computer are not the typical manufacturer "nuclear option" recovery discs but they are a genuine MS systembuilder/OEM CD, a driver CD, and an apps CD.  One of the mainstays of SLP deployments is the use of a manufacturer recovery or reinstallation CD.

On the CoA, is the second line "OEM Product" or "OEM Software" or is it the name of the manufacturer, either Sager or Midern or someone else?

And this is purely a long shot, but I wonder if trying the PK Updater might work, or if not, shed some more light on the topic:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=45668

Another idea is to use ntbackup to backup what you have now, then lay down a new xp installation that would presumably activate and validate as a foundation, and then restore over top of the fresh XP... according to this article, it might work out  http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/76145/jsi-tip-4839-how-do-i-move-windows-xp-to-different-hardware.html  Although ntbackup is a PITA :-)
    Friday, October 16, 2009 4:01 PM
  • Hmmm - after escalation, the manufacturer is telling me that they've seen this before, but only rarely.  They have some ideas on fixing it (and those ideas match yours pretty closely), but I think that we're going to work something out on a new key to get a valid Installation ID number for the Activation Center to approve.  We both feel it would be much easier this way.

I'll keep you informed, and thanks!
    Friday, October 16, 2009 4:34 PM
  • Working now - got a new product key from vendor, and the Activation Center was able to validate it at once.

We also figured out exactly what happened, although it took some digging.  I'd like to share it with MS, but it's information that could compromise the activation process for less-than-scrupulous users.  If any MS tech wants to contact me via email to find out what happened, please do so.  Please expect me to validate you as a genuine MS tech - I don't want this info getting out.

Thanks for the assist!
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 5:11 PM