Projects not publishing properly MSP2007 RRS feed

• Question

• As part of our month end procedures we ensure that the data entered onto timesheets have actually made it through to project plans.  There are certain circumstances where changes are made on timesheets don't get posted to a project plan.

To do this I have a custom application that reads in the timesheet data on a day by day basis, and then checks that against the assignment data in the Reporting database.  This then shows which weeks have discrepancies, then you can drill down to see which project/resource/day doesn't match up.

I won't bore you with the many reasons the errors can occur, lets just say timesheets in 2007, combined with autostatus plus works well most of the time but has some quirks.

Anyway we found this month that one or two errors could not be resolved.  Further digging into the issue we discovered that the Project Plan and the timesheet in questions matched up, but the reporting database was reporting different figures.  We tried publishing the plan to refresh the reporting db, but it made no difference.

In one instance I had a day reporting 2 hours of actual work in the Reporting db and the plan showing 1 hour.  I reduced the plan to 0 and published the plan, then checked the reporting db to find it was now showing 1 hour instead of 0.  Updating the plan back to 1 hour and publishing pushed the reporting db back up to 2 hours.

I can only imagine that somewhere along the line the reporting db has become corrupted for this plan and I wondered if anyone had any ideas about how to force the reporting database to update for a particular plan?  If I restored the plan from the Archive would that force a rebuild of all the databases for that project plan?

Hope that makes sense, and isn't in the wrong forum.

John.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:06 AM

Answers

• Sorry to hear that.  If the problem exist with a specific project, maybe try backing up the project, deleting it from published, draft, and reporting, then restore from backup.

Before going into that, in your original post it sounds like you are using a custom app to compare the time sheet to the reporting database, is it possible that the custom app is the issue?  You probably already covered this step, but I would first try quering the reporting database using SQL Server Mngt Studio for assignment data and comparing it to a published project schedule.

• Marked as answer by JohnHolding Tuesday, August 7, 2012 9:38 AM
    Monday, August 6, 2012 12:30 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

This is a common scenario of reporting data not matching with Published data.

If you monitor the project server queue while publishing the project plan, you may see Reporting (publish) job failed but not blocking correlation.

If this issue is related to only few projects we can fix it by performing save for sharing.

1. Open the project plan in Project Pro

2. Click on File>>>Save for sharing

Save this project plan on desktop in mpp file format

3. Without closing project plan once again click on file menu and then save as

4. And Click on save (Due to save for sharing step, project name will be grayed out)

5. Once save is complete, publish the project plan

Validate your result

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 2:47 PM
  • Hi Hrishi

The plan is publishing properly, and the Reporting stage is going thorugh properly.  Making a change to one of the tasks in question and publishing the plan does actually change the data in the Reporting DB, it is however still wrong.

Starting Position

In plan - Day 1 = 1 hour of actual work

reporting db day 1 = 2 hours of actual work

Updating the plan and publish

In plan - Day 1 = 0 hour of actual work

reporting db day 1 = 1 hours of actual work

Update plan and publish

In plan - Day 1 = 1 hour of actual work

reporting db day 1 = 2 hours of actual work

It's very strange, and I can't quite get my head around it.

John.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 8:08 AM
  • You may also want to try backing up and restoring your Enterprise fields using PWA server settings >>administrative backup >> Administrative Restore.  This process forces the reporting database to refresh.  It can take quite a bit of time to complete depending on the size of your EPM.  Probably best to wait until after hours.

I am also using PS2007 though we are not using the timesheet feature.  All project time is reported using the MY tasks page.  We’ve had similar problems with syncing.  I’ve also had problems where users submit their time, but the time never appears in the task updates page for the status manager.  This can go on for weeks until the missing hours are noticed during EOM reporting.  Anyway…hope this helps. J

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 7:18 PM
  • Hi Jenn

Thanks for that, I will give that a go.

We used to use My Tasks for timesheets, but were frustrated by the link between the plan and mytasks and the lack of reporting options in My Tasks.  The Timesheet system breaks the link so that updates to the plan don't overwrite the timesheet, and reporting is much easier.

The Autostatus Plus addon made the timesheets viable for us, providing a single point of entry for users.  Though it does have the odd drawback, overall it's a pretty good system.

I'll let you know how the Fields restore goes.

John.

Thursday, August 2, 2012 8:26 AM
  • After much wailing and gnashing of teeth we have managed to rebuild the reporting database.  It fell over first time around, but only one project needed fixing.  It completed properly the second time around.

I'll be checking whether it has solved the issue on Monday.  Thanks again for the tip.

John.

Friday, August 3, 2012 1:47 PM
  • No problem, I hope you have good results Monday morning.  :)
    Friday, August 3, 2012 1:59 PM
  • Sadly it does not appear to have worked, though I'm digging deep into the data now to see if I can figure out why.

John

Monday, August 6, 2012 12:20 PM
  • Sorry to hear that.  If the problem exist with a specific project, maybe try backing up the project, deleting it from published, draft, and reporting, then restore from backup.

Before going into that, in your original post it sounds like you are using a custom app to compare the time sheet to the reporting database, is it possible that the custom app is the issue?  You probably already covered this step, but I would first try quering the reporting database using SQL Server Mngt Studio for assignment data and comparing it to a published project schedule.

• Marked as answer by JohnHolding Tuesday, August 7, 2012 9:38 AM
    Monday, August 6, 2012 12:30 PM

I'm just checking the SQL queries that the custom app uses, to make sure it's not something in there that is causing the issue.  If I can't find anything there then I will delete and restore the project as you suggested.

John.

Monday, August 6, 2012 12:57 PM

It seems the total hours match between the plan and reporting db, but looking at it day by day they do not match.  It seems that some days have been merged into other in the reporting database.

But at least the total matches up so I'm happy with that.  I've altered my checking process to check the totals by resource first, then show the details of any that don't match.

Thanks for the help.

John.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 9:37 AM