New WHS Add-In for Synchronizing Photos to Flickr - PhotoSync for WHS RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

I just released a new add-in for automatically synchronizing photos between your WHS /Photos folder and your Flickr Account.

Some general features & notes:

• PhotoSync will monitor your WHS Photos folder (or any sub folder you select) and automatically upload the contents of that folder (and every sub folder) to your Flickr account.
    • Since you get to select the 'base folder' you can, for example, create a /Photos/Private and a /Photos/Public (or /Photos/Flickr) folder in WHS and just point PhotoSync to the /Public folder - this makes sure your public photos go to Flicker and the private ones do not.
    • PhotoSync can be configured to automatically upload new photos on any scheduled basis (the minimum right now is every 15 minutes)
    • There is a WHS Console GUI Tab to configure everything, and check upload status information.
    Please give it a try and let me know what you think.

For more details and a free beta download, check out my blog post at:
    http://www.edholloway.com/archive/2007/05/17/PhotoSync-For-Windows-Home-Server-_2D00_-Beta1.aspx

Thursday, May 17, 2007 11:38 PM

All replies

• Nothing there...

Actually here....  http://www.edholloway.com/data/PhotoSyncBeta1.msi

Friday, May 18, 2007 1:17 AM
  • I downloaded the AddIn but did not install it.

I guess I belong to a very small group -I do not have a flickr account.So the question is can you sync the Photo Folder with another  site using your addin??

Friday, May 18, 2007 3:39 AM
  • Right now the Add-in only works with Flickr, but I designed it with expanding to other services in mind.  I'm open to suggestions, which one did you have in mind?

-Ed

Friday, May 18, 2007 12:53 PM
  • Windows Live Folders, when it becomes available, would be great. This would expand the scope of this add-in to an off site back-up solution.
    Friday, May 18, 2007 3:15 PM
  •  Ed

I installed the Add-in just to see how it installs and it seems fine,since I do not have a flickr account I could not complete the set up.

I then uninstalled it -(A test ) and I then had an error with another Add-In ,this was fixed by unistalling the ADD-in and reinstalling it.  i am sorry I did not save the error message. Will try to duplicate and check the logs.

Anyway I am actually using the Photo Libary in Sharepoint and I like it, however I would like if I can just add picture to the WHS share and have it available in Sharepoint. Exactly as you have discribed in your ADD-in  for Flickr.

Rouza

Friday, May 18, 2007 7:54 PM
  • I installed the add-in tonight, also had to open a flickr account as i didn't have one, and the add-in works great easy to install, easy to set up, i set up another folder called flickr and am uploading from this to my account.
     great add-in,    Kev
    Friday, May 18, 2007 9:10 PM
  • I downloaded your msi and added it to my WHS without any problem whatsoever.  I had to dig-up my original yahoo account from years ago to activate the required Flickr account and then synced the account to my selected photo folder.  Everything worked as advertised! The only thing is now I shoot everything I do in camera raw so I had to look around for some jpg's to upload.  Then, because I didn't read the Flickr size limitations for free accounts, I was only able to uplod 33 pics because I hadn't downsized the jpg's!  In any event, your add-in worked slicker than snot on a doorknob so congratulations for a job well done. 

Finally, has anyone tackled perfecting a service for WHS that'll do the same thing natively for WHS?

Thanks Ed & congratulations on the new baby. I took a look at all your pics with Mom, Grandma & Grandpa.  I've been there and done that...5 daughters and the first two were unannounced twins that are now in their 30's !

Saturday, May 19, 2007 3:32 AM
  • Not a big flickr fan, but I tried it out just to see how it worked. Works nicely! Nice job, Ed!
    Couple of things I found and would like to see it do:
    • It only uploads to the Public folder of Flicker. Is it possible to configure to upload to only friends or family or private? Or is that a Flickr restriction?
    • Does it upload only new pics in the folder or does it reload the entire folder each time?
    • Can this be done with Google's Picasa Web Albums? I use this and like it better than Flickr.
    • When I uninstalled the Flickr Sync add-in, it corrupted my installed Wake On Lan add-in. I had to uninstall the WOL and then re-install it. No biggie, but thought you should know. WOL written by: Evangelos Hadjichristodoulou MVP
    • I also have a Web Site Add-in installed, but uninstalling the Flickr Sync add-in did not affect it. Written by: PorkPIe5000
    Keep the add-ins coming. We love 'em!
    Sunday, May 20, 2007 6:38 PM
  • Love the add-in. this is the sort of thing that WHS add-ins should do. I was wondering if you have thought about adding supports for creating sets and collections. Also, would there be a way to do tagging of the photos there in the console?

On a side note does the API from flickr allow for 2 way communication. e.g. if i delete a photo in my synced folder can it be removed from flickr?
    Sunday, May 20, 2007 7:01 PM
  • Hi Judge-

Thanks for the feedback., Glad you liked it.

To answer your questions:

-You can select any folder as the bas upload folder, it is one of the config options on the tab.
    -It only uploads new photos.  Existing ones are ignored.
    -I will likely add support for other photo sites based on requests here.
    -I'm not sure why it would have touched anything related to WOL that seems a little odd.  I'll try it here and see if I can reproduce that problem or if this was just a fluke.
    Monday, May 21, 2007 1:03 AM
  • @potts.mike -

Thanks for the kind words. 

I am definitely  planning some tagging and set features.  Just trying to figure out the best way to handle these items (based on community feedback).  Some have suggested exif data, others  would prefer each  sub folder to be a 'set', so I'm planning to gather up all the feedback and work it into the next release.

Right now the app, only syncs one way (to) Flickr, but I believe there is a way I could do a 2 way sync as well.
    Monday, May 21, 2007 1:11 AM
  • @Michael J Weldon

Thank-you!  The new baby is quite an experience, and (other than no sleep) we love every minute of it.

The limit on Flickr free account is a pain, I finally wound up buying a 'pro' account for $25.  I'll probably look for other service with better free options for the next service I add to the Add-in

Monday, May 21, 2007 1:14 AM
  • Good to know that there will be some further development on this. I am going to vote for subfolders to be sets. I would think that then it would be easy to move individual pics around if need be.
    Monday, May 21, 2007 1:34 AM
  •  Ed

I had the same problem with WOL add-in (see my earlier post)

Monday, May 21, 2007 2:35 AM
  • Yeah, this topic is actually duplicated elsewhere in this forum. I responded a few days ago then. But then I found this thread...so I just copied and pasted the same reply...LOL

Ed, I even rebooted WHS a few times to see if the WOL would come back, which is didn't. Just thought you should know in case it's a simple fix. I did not catch Rouza's post with the same issue...

Nice to see that Sync ignores the already uploaded files.
    By specific folders, I meant uploading to Flickr in a certain area. If I already have pics on Flicker in the "Freinds" section then Sync would automatically upload to that section.
    Unless I'm totally missing something, which is entirely possible, Sync seems to just upload them to the Public side of Flickr. Then you have to log in and move them where you want them.

I'll hold out for the Google Picasa version....

Nice job on the add-in!
    Monday, May 21, 2007 2:50 AM
  • Ed,

I installed this add-on and experienced the same issue on uninstall as others had reported with the Wake on LAN add-on.

Also, I saw a very strange issue where the add-on reported it had uploaded 64 files to my account.  The only problem was I only had 22 photos in the folder marked for synch.  When I logged into my account it appeared that it uploaded all of my photos, but then resent a couple of the photos in my folder over again.  I deleted all of my photo's on the server and then the next day it said it synched 92 photos to my account.  When I logged in i had the same three photos uploaded over and over again with only 28 photos in my account.  At that point I had run out of bandwidth for the month on my free account.  This MAY not be an issue with you add-on however becasue I am experiencing some corruption issues on my server.  How is your program identifying new photo's added to the folder?

I wouldnt assume you have a problem with your add-on based on my experience, but I'd ask others to keep an eye on it and see if they experience it.

BTW - this is a very cool add-on and I love the conecpt.  I hope you add snapfish to the supported web servicing as thats what my wife uses!  Thanks for making such a neat add-on available to us.

Monday, May 21, 2007 3:38 PM
  • @MovieGuy - I create a hash based on the image file name (not full path) and the exact byte size. 

If you are having drive issues on the server, and WHS is reporting different file sizes, then the SyncService would try to re-sync the same file, thinking it was a different file with a the same name.

Please keep an eye and let me know.  If anyone else sees this,please let me know.

-Ed

Monday, May 21, 2007 4:27 PM
  • I traced down the uninstall issue a few of you have had - turns out it was an interop assembly that both our applications used (and most others likely will too)
    (for more info see: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1629372&SiteID=50)

The latest build should fix this issue for future users (but there are no other fixes or features in it - or any reason for existing user to reinstall it).
    http://www.edholloway.com/archive/2007/05/17/PhotoSync-For-Windows-Home-Server-_2D00_-Beta1.aspx

Thanks to those of you who pointed that out.

-Ed

Monday, May 21, 2007 11:20 PM
  • Ed,

Thanks for the info and the add-in. I'll keep an eye out for any additions you make.
    Tuesday, May 22, 2007 11:33 AM
  • Some feedback (putting here publicly so everyone can see my opinions):

1) Don't pop up IE.  Instead host the web browser active X control. We really don't want users mucking with IE from w/in the console.

2) Don't show the D: drive letter.  Just use the root of the shared folder namespace. If you really want to show the full path, do \\localhost\<path>  Drive letters are evil.

3) Please support other shared folders other than Photos. (e.g. I have a folder called \\server\screensaverpics that all screensavers throughout the house are set to use. I copy "great" pictures here). I'd like to use your add-in to sync that folder and NOT \\server\photos.

4) I don't see any way of turning it off.

Nicely done!

-cek

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 5:25 AM
  • Ed,

I know your new baby and your wife are your priorities right now but I wondered if you could provide an update on the future of your add-in. So far this is the best out there and I am looking forward to the additional features you mentioned.

Regards,

Robert

Thursday, June 14, 2007 5:05 PM
  • Robert - Thanks for the note.

I actually have all the changes, features and bug fixes I had planned for Beta2 complete, I just need to find a few more hours for testing, packaging and building an installer.

I hope to find some time in the next several days to get this done (likely over the weekend).

If you don't see something by early next week - please feel free to check in.

-Ed

Thursday, June 14, 2007 7:00 PM
  • I'd love the option to sync one way, or the other way OR both ways.

-People may just want to upload photos as your app does now

-People may want to keep thier WHS and Flickr account completley synced

-People may want to just keep an exact copy of their flickr account in their photos share (me!!)

My camera uploads my hi-res pics straight onto flickr, so an addin which could keep an accurate copy of all my hi-res flickr photos in my WHS would be the ultimate add in! Smile

Looking forward to beta 2 Smile

Monday, June 18, 2007 9:34 PM
  • Bumping this thread to the top and seeing if people are still having good experiences with this plug-in and the RTM version of WHS?
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 2:19 PM
  • The good news is that this app installed flawlessly.  The bad news is that it hasn't uploaded any photos yet and I can't figure out how to access a log file to find out what is happening.

Initially I put 3 large directories of photos in the sync directoyr (named "\\hpserver\photos\flickr sync") could the space in the directory name be the problem?  Also, almost all of the photos had underlines in the file name DSC_0351.jpg for example.  I tried getting rid of the underlines and also deleting all of the photos except 2 and still can't get anything to upload.  It would be really helpful if someon told me where to look for a log for this app.

Thanks!
    Thursday, December 27, 2007 3:18 AM
  • I've got the same issue. All of my folder names contain spaces, plus there are underscores in the file names (ie as above). But even when I put a single photo with a "just letters & numbers" file name directly in the \photos folder, even that did not get synced.

In addition: I originally installed Photosync V1. I then found and upgraded to V2 (following the instructions not to uninstall V1). When the syncing did not work, I tried reinstalling both versions and discovered that V1 cannot be uninstalled (error message "Uninstallation failed").

Help!
    Wednesday, January 2, 2008 7:25 PM
  • Hi Ed.
    congrats - it works realy fine for me.
    I made a folder in //server/photos called "testfolder_for_whs_flickrpublic" and the pics were uploaded into my flickr account as public images. both the original names "P1010106.JPG" and "P1010109.JPG" were renamed in flickr into "image".

in my opinion this add-on is much more for the pro-account in flickr than for a free account (limited to 3 sets and 200 pics -afasik)
    {sidenote: i have around 6.000 to 8.000 pics since 2005 that still need to be loaded into flickr Smile) }

so for me the easiest way to organize the flickr account would need the following:

a) for me:
    1.) create special folders on the WHS (thats easy)
    2.) maybe resize some pics and convert the RAW into JPG (irfanview can do this for me)
    3.) copy all wanted pics into the right folders

b) for your add-in:
    1.) dont change the names of the pictures during upload (should be easy)
    2.) look for the last part of the folder were they come from and use that as a set (//server/photos/forflickr/public/set_name/)
    3.) see if the beginning of the path contains "public", "friends", "family", "friendsfamily" or "private" and uplad with that permission into flickr
    4.) depending on your possibility to read the exif data from the picture, get the info of the exif-comment and upload the infos into the TAGS of flickr (example: exif-comment = nature, green, flower)
    A wonderful thing would be if you can also add the year (ex. 2006 from exif-date taken) and the exif camera model into the TAG too. also fine if you could add one textfield into your add-in (configuration-area) that will be used for TAG infos for ALL uploaded pictures (i could write my name and copyright etc there too)

damn...when thinking about all the possibilities...LOL...i better stop now Smile))

Thanks again for providing such a nice tool.
    Hopefully you didnt stop the programming?
    Maybe you need some help in something?

Regards
    HDZ

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 12:23 PM
  • HDZ,

Make sure you are using Beta2 of PhotoSync as I believe it will address most of your suggestions.

1.) dont change the names of the pictures during upload (should be easy)

jwidenerga - with Beta2 there is a checkbox option for keeping the file names the same as the image name. works perfect for me.

2.) look for the last part of the folder were they come from and use that as a set (//server/photos/forflickr/public/set_name/)
    jwidenerga - this is exactly what I am doing today. i have a sub folders under my "ToFlickr" folder (//server/photos/toflickr/subfolder). Each of these subfolders automatically creates a new set in Flickr.

3.) see if the beginning of the path contains "public", "friends", "family", "friendsfamily" or "private" and uplad with that permission into flickr

jwidenerga - you have an option with Beta2 to change from public to private, but an option like you mention above would be nice as well!

4.) depending on your possibility to read the exif data from the picture, get the info of the exif-comment and upload the infos into the TAGS of flickr (example: exif-comment = nature, green, flower)
    A wonderful thing would be if you can also add the year (ex. 2006 from exif-date taken) and the exif camera model into the TAG too. also fine if you could add one textfield into your add-in (configuration-area) that will be used for TAG infos for ALL uploaded pictures (i could write my name and copyright etc there too)

jwidenerga - all of the exif data is uploaded for me, year, camera model, etc. so i am not sure why this is not working for you?

i still have issues with having to restart the photosync service to get it to work on occasion, but overall this is a great tool!

--Joey

Friday, January 18, 2008 5:21 PM
  • Just another service request for this great add-in:

Service Request:  WinkFlashWink  (http://www.winkflash.com)

After doing much research a few years back, I choose this service mainly because it was the only one out there that actually converts, and chemically develops your digital photos. They are not just color laser prints like most. The other main benefit is unlimited FREE storage.

Order Great Prints
    You get real prints from your digital photos, all photos are processed in our digital laboratory, using Premium Fuji Crystal Archive paper and chemistry. This guarantees you the brightest colors, sharpest whites, and photos that will last a lifetime. and with 4x6 prints only 12¢ each, you save lots of money too.

Get 50 FREE 4x6 prints on your first order when you use coupon code WF23EA73 click here for complete details.

Powerful Free Sharing
    It's so simple to share your photos, we even give you three levels of sharing power. Group Sharing, Friend Sharing, and Public Sharing. We give you control over who gets to view your photos.

Unlimited Free Storage
    At winkflash you can store as many photos as you want for an unlimited time, and they will never be deleted, ever. All this for free.

Free High-Resolution Downloads
    You can download the high-resolution version of your photos for free, unlike our competitors who either don't allow you to or charge you money to do it.

Thanks for considering.

Monday, January 21, 2008 7:14 PM
  • I tried it after the webcast, but it does not sync. Any idea why?

Thursday, July 10, 2008 12:45 AM