windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting an error message of

<windows>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Last month my laptop crashed, had to do a destructive restore and was back up and running!  A few days ago it started acting up and tried to do a destructive restore again because nothing else was working and now I am getting this message. 

My computer did not come with an XP disk but I do have it on my external HDD.  Can I restore or install from it?

Please help, ASAP!!!

Thanks

Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:24 PM

Answers

• The best place to ask a quesiton about Windows XP is undoubtedly the Microsoft Windows XP newsgroups. However, the description of your problem makes me suspect a hardware issue, possbily a failing hard drive.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:33 PM

All replies

• If your laptop is running XP and the XP install is on a bootable disk/drive that the laptop will use, yes. You should be able to do a startup repair or a repair install.
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:50 PM
  • The best place to ask a quesiton about Windows XP is undoubtedly the Microsoft Windows XP newsgroups. However, the description of your problem makes me suspect a hardware issue, possbily a failing hard drive.
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:33 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

The best place to ask a quesiton about Windows XP is undoubtedly the Microsoft Windows XP newsgroups. However, the description of your problem makes me suspect a hardware issue, possbily a failing hard drive.

I thought he was trying to recover from a WHS restore. Perhaps not... ;)

Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:02 PM
  • What is WHS?  I am trying to fix the windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe error message saying it needs to be re-installed.  I read somewhere that a way to fix it is to put it the XP disk and re-install but I don't have a disk.  I have a copy of the disk on my external HDD with codes!

Is it possible to do this way?

Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:25 PM
  • WHS is Windows Home Server and this forum is for WHS. ;)

If you need help for XP, this is the wrong place, although my first reply might still help you. Other than that, try the newsgroups that Ken suggested.

Good luck...

Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:27 PM