invalide product key from the sticker RRS feed

• Question

• I need to reinstall windows xp on my thinkpad r31. When I enter the product key that I wrote down from the sticker at the back of the laptop, it says the key is invalid. So the installation can not be continued. I have carefully compared the key I entered and the key in the sticker. I am sure I didn't make any error. What should I do?

Sunday, March 9, 2008 4:19 AM

Answers

All replies

• I just got a new computer and am having the same problem. You are not alone. Can't wait for an answer.

Sunday, March 9, 2008 6:13 AM
  • Make sure you are only using the authorized ThinkPad OEM Windows recovery CD and not any other Windows installation cd.

Sunday, March 9, 2008 2:27 PM
  • mine is a version that I bought seperatly to add to my old computer. Now I am putting it on the new computer. Any idea's?

Sunday, March 9, 2008 5:51 PM
  • Hello DBL R,

You can only use the product key affixed to your computer with the recovery media it came with, the product key will not work with any other copy of Windows.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:43 PM
  • I thank you for your reply. I am a little concerned that I am not going to be able to use this program. I am not going to buy it again. I bought Office seperate for my last computer. It did not come with it. Now I want to use it on my new computer. I payed a lot of money for office and should be able to use it on my new computer when my old dies.

There is no product key affixed to my computer that I know of. There is a product key on the office software that I purchased.

Any advise would be appreciated. I need this program on my computer but I will look into other non microsoft programs if my purchased office is not usable on my new system.

Thanks again.

DBL R

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 10:33 PM
  • Hello DBL R,

This is a different scenario as what was previously described, aslong as you have a Retail (not OEM) copy of Office you can move it between computers aslong as it is first removed from the previous computer.  Please make sure you are using the product key that was shipped with the copy of Office you are attempting to install, if you previously installed this copy and now it is not working on this new machine I would suggest reposting your question in the general Office newsgroups found here: http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?d=1  or http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.office.misc&lang=en&cr=US  for further support with your installation issues.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 10:42 PM