Could Microsoft define HOME.....and stick to it. RRS feed

• Question

• Whoa a HOME server, great I thought, a server for HOME users to use at HOME.  Oh no, according to the description, XP Home is not up to it, need XP PRO. Or Vista, and from what I've heard Vista Home is a restrictive security nightmare. Seems alot of intelligent people at MS , but no common sense. Things labeled home shold NOT require PRO or corperate editions.

Now whinge over, and can three XP Home machines, two PC's and one laptop work with this sucker, as I've no desire to upgrade three well functioning machines.

Monday, October 15, 2007 9:18 PM

Answers

• Actually they do work with WHS, it just that they dont support some of the remote access functions that WHS can provide. If you dont want or need that function then it doesnt matter. If you want to use the other functions, like backup and restore, shared folders, etc, then it works fine!

Andrew

Monday, October 15, 2007 9:37 PM

All replies

• Actually they do work with WHS, it just that they dont support some of the remote access functions that WHS can provide. If you dont want or need that function then it doesnt matter. If you want to use the other functions, like backup and restore, shared folders, etc, then it works fine!

Andrew

Monday, October 15, 2007 9:37 PM
  • Thank you Andrew, TUT TUT MS,  I would only want it for backing up important material and serving a limited amont of media, though I suppose that will change over time. Remote access is not something I've condsidered. 

Ian
    Monday, October 15, 2007 10:22 PM